1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.3 Help with Node Permissions

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by Staxed, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Staxed

Staxed Active Member

I thought I knew permissions pretty well...but either there isn't a way to do it, or I can't figure it out...

Is it possible to require someone to be a member of two specific groups in order to view a forum?

Group 1
    Group 2

I've tried everything I can think of, and nothing I do makes it require the member to be in both groups to see the forum.

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Permissions are cumulative, not additive/exclusive

One way to do it would be to create two user group promotions: promote to group B if in group A, promote to group C if in group B.
    Only allow access to the node for group C.

3. Staxed

Staxed Active Member

that's the problem...just because they are in group A doesn't mean they should be in group B, and vice-versa.

4. Brogan

Hmmm, I see the issue now.

I'll have to go and think about it but I'm not sure it's possible as the user group promotion criteria is OR not AND, for secondary user groups.

Staxed likes this.
  5. Staxed

Staxed Active Member

yup, that's what I was afraid of. It's not a huge issue though, just means I have to create a few more groups to use as primary's. Thanks for thinking about it though :)

6. Brogan

Amaury likes this.
  7. Staxed

Staxed Active Member

I'm actually in the process of completely redoing my permissions to implement that actually. Just reinstalled xenforo after a while out of the game and was still stuck in vb mode :).

8. Falkor

Falkor Member

This is actually very easy to do in it's simplest form you could have it like this

Group 1
    Group 2
    Group 3
    Group 4

Category 1 = Group 1
    • Forum A = Group 2 - So you need to be a member of Group 1 & Group 2
      • Forum C = Group 3 - So you need to be a member of Group 1, Group 2 & Group 3
    • Forum D = Group 4 - So you need to be a member of Group 1 & Group 4

Staxed likes this.
  9. Staxed

Staxed Active Member

Awesome...that's why I couldn't figure it out, I've been thinking along the terms of group permissions and not node permissions :D

10. Falkor

Falkor Member

You will find you can do far more with XF permissions than you ever could do with VB