XF 1.3 Help With Import From VB 4 Please

konakid

I was importing into a brand new install of XF 1.3 - Everything seemed to be Ok until two users came up as "unable to import" due to a comma in the name. I didn't know what to do, and it wouldn't let me continue so I used the breadcrumbs to return to where I found "Import in Progress" and and options to continue or restart.

When I clicked on continue I was returned to the users that couldn't be imported, with nothing that I could see to do. So I went back to "Import in Progress" and clicked on Start Over. But now I get this. Please help.
Screen Shot 2014-04-10 at 5.46.08 PM.webp

Last edited:
I suggest starting all over again. But before making the import modify any usernames in vB by removing the comma in the username. Also make sure there are no duplicate emails addresses as that is another issue that is best resolved before the import process.

Thanks - I am really appreciating these prompt replies.

However, what do you mean by starting all over again? You mean from square one, deleting the new installation and database and then reinstalling the forum, and creating a new database, etc?

And I am unclear as to how I am going to check for any duplicate email addresses. How would I know? In addition, are you suggesting I manually go through every user and check for commas. And I am unclear as to what it is importing - as vB 4 has separate usernames and login names - how is that resolved?

And I am unclear as to how I am going to check for any duplicate email addresses. How would I know? In addition, are you suggesting I manually go through every user and check for commas. And I am unclear as to what it is importing - as vB 4 has separate usernames and login names - how is that resolved?

You would use phpMyAdmin to search for commas in the username. Also phpMyAdmin can be used to find duplicate emails addresses.

This thread explains what to do regarding the duplicate emails.

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/query-for-vbulletin.41714/

Thank you very much - I will check that out although I am not experienced enough to know how to use phpMyAdmin to search out commas in usernames.

And at this point I am unsure as to how the import is going to handle the fact that vb4 has both display names and login names that can be different. Which name is being imported to be used for logging in?

But my big question is the following. I am being told I need to reinstall the software and start all over from scratch now. Is this what will happen if/when the import fails due to something as simple as a comma in a username? Was there supposed to be a way to just ignore/delete that user on the fly and continue - or is the whole installation and import corrupted and a new install needed?

Edit - MY MISTAKE - regarding display and login names - I was thinking of an IP Board I take care of. Good, one less thing to worry about. :)

Last edited:
But my big question is the following. I am being told I need to reinstall the software and start all over from scratch now. Is this what will happen if/when the import fails due to something as simple as a comma in a username? Was there supposed to be a way to just ignore/delete that user on the fly and continue - or is the whole installation and import corrupted and a new install needed?
This thread may be of use: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/importing-guidelines.25325/

It helps to minimise the work required if multiple imports are performed.

Top Bottom