Help Setting up My VPS

isn't Plesk and Cpanel the same thing? I have not seen any Plesk just Cpanel..

Pretty much, Plesk lets you fiddle with more "server settings" than cpanel, but they effectively do the same thing. IMHO Plesk is a grown up version of cpanel

IMHO Plesk is a grown up version of cpanel

I used plesk during my 1und1 times from 8.6 till 10.x something. Backing up data, panel upgrades were a nightmare. WHM & cPanel allows much more control over certain things and used by more host. Migration is always a problem with plesk when you decite to move your host because all the folder and file permission problems etc. I wouldn't recomment it. Go with cPanel or DirectPanel if you can.

Being in the learning phase myself, can I ask if a panel of any kind is required if you don't mind editing config files manually? I've read they do consume system resources, so if just hosting a forum on its own for example (with no other sites or customers) do you really need one?

Plesk is absolutely awful if you plan to do anything manually outside it whatsoever
I would say painful/asking for trouble/don't do ever. The moment you start messing with the server setup outside of Plesk is moments before you'll need to reset Plesk.

I don't know what you guys do to mess your plesk installs up.

I used plesk during my 1und1 times from 8.6 till 10.x something. Backing up data, panel upgrades were a nightmare. WHM & cPanel allows much more control over certain things and used by more host. Migration is always a problem with plesk when you decite to move your host because all the folder and file permission problems etc. I wouldn't recomment it. Go with cPanel or DirectPanel if you can.

I have never had a single issue with any of what you describe here. And thats migrating 150+ sites across 3 different server accounts / upgrades.

Being in the learning phase myself, can I ask if a panel of any kind is required if you don't mind editing config files manually? I've read they do consume system resources, so if just hosting a forum on its own for example (with no other sites or customers) do you really need one?

Do you need one? Nope, can just help. Plesk 10.x I found to be very low impact on any of my servers.

Plesk is absolutely awful if you plan to do anything manually outside it whatsoever

Such as?

I would say painful/asking for trouble/don't do ever. The moment you start messing with the server setup outside of Plesk is moments before you'll need to reset Plesk.

Again, such as?

Having tried cpanel, whm, plesk, ispconfig etc etc etc... the one I always end up returning to is plesk... it just feels and acts so much more proffesionally than any of the others.

In my experience adding a mysql database and associated user account outside plesk stops it from recognising them for backups etc.

And last time I worked on a plesk server the owner had made a few changes here and there, resulting in hours of work patching the plesk update script to stop it throwing silly errors

In my experience adding a mysql database and associated user account outside plesk stops it from recognising them for backups etc.

And last time I worked on a plesk server the owner had made a few changes here and there, resulting in hours of work patching the plesk update script to stop it throwing silly errors

Did you register the database with psa? Plesks internal backup system only backs up items managed by plesk. If you want it to back up items not managed by itself you have to register them in the psa database.

As for your other server, I guess the owner didn't make the changes correctly.

IMO:
If you're going to use a control panel - and the choices are Plesk and cPanel, choose cPanel.

Plesk is terrible and originally made to panel windows servers. Choosing WHM/cpanel over plesk allows you to edit files directly via CLI without breaking the panel.

Plesk isn't a grown-up cpanel. It's like windows for your Linux box - it wants to control everything you do and if you modify files via CLI you'll break it.

Again, IMO.

Top Bottom