Help Section - Very nice!

Kim

Now I might be wayyyy behind the times here, but I had cause today to do an "in ACP" help look up on Permissions, and lo and behold I was taken to a very nice looking, very organised and and very useful section of the Xenforo site I had never visited before...

May I say well done lads, love it! The look and feel is fabulous, as is the content... don't know how long it's been there, or how i missed it, but I just wanted to say I like it :)

http://xenforo.com/help/permissions/

:)

You need to turn signatures back on :D

LOL sadly I did have them on :p Just rarely take much notice of sigs I have to confess :p

Now of course I see the Help Manual links in your sig I am amazed I haven't notice it before :D hehehe

Oh and a big Thank You to Kier for the Name change
wub.gif

Golly Jeepers.. I guess I miss out on the "observer of the year" award then :p
I'll miss out on it with you, because I didn't notice it either. :oops:
And I agree, very nice job guys!

aaaaand, I want to know how to do this on my site.

Reactions: Kim
So why has so many done it? ok for some but not others? I don't get o_O
Certain members who have contributed in some way (Kim, Shelley, etc.) have custom titles.
Family members, etc. also have custom titles.
Others have them to identify their business, etc.
The rest are staff or, as in Peggy's case, ex-staff.

The vB help manual allowed commenting which kept the document up to date and much more useful.
I'm surprised to see almost no images or video in the manual.
http://xenforo.com/help/manual/
The Find out more always lists the same content as well and is always in both the footer and the sidebar.

In the future, I'd like to see much more integration with the Help manual and the forums.

I'd also suggest it is in Xenforo's best interest to open up documentation to the larger community. The easiest "ad hoc" method of community documentation would be to allow commenting on the /help documents.

I'd like to see being able to insert help documents into the forum with bbcode.

[help]Captcha[/help]

would insert this entry: http://xenforo.com/help/captcha/

I'd like to see being able to insert help documents into the forum with bbcode.

[help]Captcha[/help]

would insert this entry: http://xenforo.com/help/captcha/
How is using BB Code quicker or easier than dragging and dropping or even copying and pasting the URL?
The BB Codes would have to be listed somewhere, you'd have to look it up, then click the BB Code button, type in the name of the help section.

Meanwhile I've just dragged and dropped the URL into the post, like this XenForo Help | XenForo, in 2 seconds and moved on to the next thread.

Or in my case, dragged from Paul's sig: Help Manual

Anyway, the help section is wonderful. I haven't had a real use for it yet, but I've had a scan through most of the articles.

How is using BB Code quicker or easier than dragging and dropping or even copying and pasting the URL?
The speed wouldn't be comparable.
BBcode would be much faster.

The next person that asks a captcha question
I'll type this:
[help]captcha[/help]

Your method requires someone to find the URL. This can be very time consuming. I do this alot, so I know it is time consuming.
It might involve: Open a new window, click help, click Manual, search for captcha (captcha is not listed on the first manual page), copy the URL, go back to the post ( alt + tab ) and paste it.

Simply pasting the manual's URL is only slightly above saying "Go Read the ****ing manual" RTFM.

The topic here is "easy linking" to key threads and help entries.

I for one ... am getting tired of answering newbie questions about Wordpress.
I dutifully open new windows search for wordpress and copy and paste the URLs.
Then ... I sometimes manually copy the Thread's title.
Very time consuming ... most people just say
>>>> "Search for Wordpress, you'll find it".

Well ... I think this is a design problem.

Wouldn't it be easier to have a method of LINKing to Common topics (help entries, forum threads) ?

ql = quick link.
[ql]Xenporta[/ql]
[ql]Brogan[/ql]
[ql]captcha[/ql]
[ql]Brogan.Blog[/ql]
[ql]Brogan.Avatar[/ql]
[ql]Addon.forum[/ql]
etc......

======Update : April 02, 2012 =======================
I think xfrock's Tag me addon has shown a glorious way of doing this.
@Xenporta
@Brogan (which is his Tag Me addon).
@Captcha
============================================
it gets rid of the need to use the [ql] bbcode !

albeit ql is an expanded version of our discussion of linking to the help manual .... it helps illustrate the convenience of linking to common help topics, threads, and beyond (gallery, blog posts, member profiles,

Why do you think the most cross-referenced entity in the world .. Wikipedia .. developed wiki links ?

Anyway, the help section is wonderful. I haven't had a real use for it yet ....
No use for it ... but it's Wonderful ? :)
The manual is to help newbies who use it. Not xF forum rats like you and I.

Simply pasting the manual's URL is only slightly above saying "Go Read the ****ing manual" RTFM.
Eh?
How do you reach that conclusion?
So the hundreds of times I've linked to the Help Manual by pasting the URL I've actually been doing customers a disservice?
Good to know, thanks.

The topic here is "easy linking" to key threads and help entries.
Err, no, it isn't.
The topic is simply someone providing positive feedback on the Help manual.
You have turned it into something entirely different.

BB Code is intended to replicate functionality which isn't ordinarily available due to HTML not being able to be posted.
As URL's can be posted then I see no need to replace them with BB Code, so let's just agree to disagree.

Anyway, this is getting (even more) off topic for the thread.

Top Bottom