Help please (new to Xenforo)

Pointfit

Hello everyone, my Xenforo website is www.sporecraft.com
I wanted to know how to add little pictures by a forum, like in the pictures I have attached, to show if there is a read or unread message in the forum.
I most likely think you need to edit the template to add it in (not sure if it's allowed to).
For example, here is xenforo's:

WqtX5S7.png

The top one is the read forum and the bottom one is unread.
Thanks for any help.
Please tell me if you need anymore info.
A169Wy6.png

There's no problem with "allowed to." Once you buy XF it's yours and you can do what you like as long as you dont remove the credit at the bottom. Of course you cannot re sell it.

The file you want is called a sprite.
If you rightclick it, select to view the image, then rightclick that and get the URL you can locate it in the directory structure. Here on XF it is
http://xenforo.com/community/styles/default/xenforo/node-sprite.png
You can then edit it however you want.

The first 2 pics in the row are Unread, Read icons.
The 3rd is the icon for Attachment on a post.
the 4th is the icon for a LinkForum.

I suggest you save the original, rename it node-spriteOLD.png
Edit it as you wish replacing one or more of the icons.
save as node-spriteNEW.png
(Create your desired images the same size and paste them in on top of the original, and Save as.)

When ready rename the original online as node-spriteOLD.png
then upload your new version node-spriteNEW.png
Rename node-spriteNEW.png to node-sprite.png The system should now work with your new version as the programming code simply looks for that name.

You now have backup copies online and locally if you want to start again.

There's no problem with "allowed to." Once you buy XF it's yours and you can do what you like as long as you dont remove the credit at the bottom. Of course you cannot re sell it.

The file you want is called a sprite.
If you rightclick it, select to view the image, then rightclick that and get the URL you can locate it in the directory structure. Here on XF it is
http://xenforo.com/community/styles/default/xenforo/node-sprite.png
You can then edit it however you want.

The first 2 pics in the row are Unread, Read icons.
The 3rd is the icon for Attachment on a post.
the 4th is the icon for a LinkForum.

I suggest you save the original, rename it node-spriteOLD.png
Edit it as you wish replacing one or more of the icons.
save as node-spriteNEW.png
(Create your desired images the same size and paste them in on top of the original, and Save as.)

When ready rename the original online as node-spriteOLD.png
then upload your new version node-spriteNEW.png
Rename node-spriteNEW.png to node-sprite.png The system should now work with your new version as the programming code simply looks for that name.

You now have backup copies online and locally if you want to start again.

Wow, thanks a lot. Seems very clear for me to edit it, but one problem. On the current theme I have, there is no sprite for me to right click and find the image url of it and look it up in the directory. Anyway I would go about it? Thanks a lot

It's still there in the directory - your theme just doesnt use it.

http://www.sporecraft.com/styles/default/xenforo/node-sprite.png

Hopefully your theme has just commented out the sprites in the relevant templates. Ask the theme developer how they handled this and how you can bring back the sprites.

Are you using xenporta on your hompage? It looks great in fact the whole look is lovely very sharp and clear.
I like the large size dates on the left for each hompage news item.

Also what do you use to put a quote at the top?

It's still there in the directory - your theme just doesnt use it.

http://www.sporecraft.com/styles/default/xenforo/node-sprite.png

Hopefully your theme has just commented out the sprites in the relevant templates. Ask the theme developer how they handled this and how you can bring back the sprites.

Are you using xenporta on your hompage? It looks great in fact the whole look is lovely very sharp and clear.
I like the large size dates on the left for each hompage news item.

Also what do you use to put a quote at the top?

Ahh ok makes sense. Thanks a lot!
Also yes! We do use xenporta. It's really nice and useful. And thanks!
Also for the quotes, it's an HtmlBlock addon for xenporta that we haven't configured yet. By default it shows the quote thing :P

Top Bottom