Help me choose a tablet.

Pope Viper

OK, I'm going nuts trying to figure out which tablet to get.

Prime considerations:

1) High resolution
2) 3G/4G
3) 10.1 Inch
4) Fair amount of memory
5) Somewhat future proof.

Thoughts?

Prime considerations:

1) High resolution
2) 3G/4G
3) 10.1 Inch
4) Fair amount of memory

Thoughts?
Are you wanting a laptop or a tablet (two different breeds of cat there unless you are talking Surface Pro).
If tablet - and mainly for gaming and viewing netflix then I like my iPad (retina) and my iPad mini. The Samsung my wife has is also nice, but I typically grab my iPads first.
About to go into my Dr's office and talk EOY expenditures on equipment with them. If the Surface Pro 2 (or whatever they are going to call the second version) is out by then I will be getting one of them. If not, then the original Pro (that is if Sony hasn't come out with their new one by then - if so, then I'll probably get that instead).

iPad. The problem with Android tablets is that even optimized apps for the platform are poor or rushed revisions. They just scale up the interface, rather than make it look good on a larger screen. You want something consistent and reliable, and secure. The vast, vast majority of Fortune 500 companies are deploying the iPad for these reasons.

In Androidland, the highly-touted Nexus 7 tablets (last year's and this year's) are both notorious for serious bugs.

iPad. The problem with Android tablets is that even optimized apps for the platform are poor or rushed revisions. They just scale up the interface, rather than make it look good on a larger screen. You want something consistent and reliable, and secure. The vast, vast majority of Fortune 500 companies are deploying the iPad for these reasons.
But, that's what happens when you have multiple vendors making the product. With Apple, they - and only they - sell the product. With Android you have Motorola, Samsung, Amazon (the Kindle), Nexus and numerous other manufacturers. Screen resolutions (and sizes) will vary between each one due to the cost layer it's targeted at. It's kind of hard for them to target "X" screen size/resolution - unlike what Apple's product makes able to do (since they are so limited on the product).
In Androidland, the highly-touted Nexus 7 tablets (last year's and this year's) are both notorious for serious bugs.
Don't know about the Nexus, but I know that I've had to re-install IOS on my mini shortly after getting it (luckily it was before I JB it and the version of IOS that was valid could still be JB). The Samsung hasn't had to have much more than updates done to it... and the screen is better than the iPad mini in my view.

That many vendors are making mostly me-too products doesn't mean it's an advantage. Consider the reliability of the OS and app quality. The Apple Store has a much higher percentage of useful stuff, and just about everything works. Compare that to Google Play where many apps amount to wallpaper and fart sounds. Even apps that do something useful may often be tragically flawed. As I said, tablet-optimized apps are often poorly done on Android. Apple wouldn't accept the stuff that passes muster at Google.

Yes, I understand the stuff about having more choices, and having more configuration options. At the end of the day, that benefits only a small number of users. And if other problems hurt the platform, the choices don't matter. And, yes, I've used Android gear; I've got a Galaxy S4 right next to me as I write this. I test all sorts of stuff as part of my work.

It's also true that you may have to reinstall the iOS on a rare occasion, but when you do, everything is back the way you set it up before the restore. Do that on an Android phone, if you can even get a copy of the OS to restore. And forget about getting critical updates to fix security and performance issues. Google has been struggling with this problem for several years and is no closer to a solution. With iOS, over 90% of the people with supported systems update within weeks.

People keep emailing me ... raving about these tablets.
upload_2013-9-17_18-55-19.webp

YMMV.

;)

I'd probably stick with the same OS as your smartphone.
Makes things easier.
(unless you have a blackberry) :)

Yes, I understand the stuff about having more choices, and having more configuration options. At the end of the day, that benefits only a small number of users. And if other problems hurt the platform, the choices don't matter. And, yes, I've used Android gear; I've got a Galaxy S4 right next to me as I write this. I test all sorts of stuff as part of my work.
Oh, I know about the pro's and cons of each. I have (sitting on my 'puter desk right now) 1 S3, 2 RAZR MAXX's, RAZR MAXX HD, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPad (original), iPad Mini, iPad (with Retina Display), 1 Galaxy Tab 7.7, 1 Motorola Xoom, 1 Kindle, 1 Kindle Fire HD, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, and finally a Galaxy Tab 3. I have a stinking little screen iPhone 5 that I use for day to day use. Hate that little screen now that I've gotten older and my vision isn't what it used to be. Have to carry a pair of reading glasses just to read it (which I don't with the S3 or the RAZR's).
When the urge hits me for a new toy I just go grab what looks good. Play with it for a while and then set it aside.

That many vendors are making mostly me-too products doesn't mean it's an advantage. Consider the reliability of the OS and app quality. The Apple Store has a much higher percentage of useful stuff, and just about everything works. Compare that to Google Play where many apps amount to wallpaper and fart sounds. Even apps that do something useful may often be tragically flawed. As I said, tablet-optimized apps are often poorly done on Android. Apple wouldn't accept the stuff that passes muster at Google.

It's also true that you may have to reinstall the iOS on a rare occasion, but when you do, everything is back the way you set it up before the restore. Do that on an Android phone, if you can even get a copy of the OS to restore. And forget about getting critical updates to fix security and performance issues. Google has been struggling with this problem for several years and is no closer to a solution. With iOS, over 90% of the people with supported systems update within weeks.

My android tablet is always on the latest version, doesn't suffer from security flaws and the build quality of the tablets (10 i've purchased as gifts for the family) over the past year have been rock solid.

@OP - If you want an overpriced tablet, gain more friends or generally the type of person who likes to see an apple on the backside of your tablet buy an IPAD (Big humongous headphones as seen on the dumb commercials not included), if you want a good solid tablet with instant updates as they are released look at the nexus Range of tablets.

Look at the apps.
Oh, I know about the pro's and cons of each. I have (sitting on my 'puter desk right now) 1 S3, 2 RAZR MAXX's, RAZR MAXX HD, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPad (original), iPad Mini, iPad (with Retina Display), 1 Galaxy Tab 7.7, 1 Motorola Xoom, 1 Kindle, 1 Kindle Fire HD, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, and finally a Galaxy Tab 3. I have a stinking little screen iPhone 5 that I use for day to day use. Hate that little screen now that I've gotten older and my vision isn't what it used to be. Have to carry a pair of reading glasses just to read it (which I don't with the S3 or the RAZR's).
When the urge hits me for a new toy I just go grab what looks good. Play with it for a while and then set it aside.
I used to review lots of gear, so I had more than I could handle. These days, I am more restrictive.

My android tablet is always on the latest version, doesn't suffer from security flaws and the build quality of the tablets (10 i've purchased as gifts for the family) over the past year have been rock solid.

@OP - If you want an overpriced tablet, gain more friends or generally the type of person who likes to see an apple on the backside of your tablet buy an IPAD (Big humongous headphones as seen on the dumb commercials not included), if you want a good solid tablet with instant updates as they are released look at the nexus Range of tablets.
Apple gear is not overpriced for what it offers. And don't expect value in hardware that a company offers at or near their manufacturing cost.

You also ignore the lower standard of app quality on the Android platform, and the fact that you usually need security software and a system optimization utility (sometimes they are in one app) to get the most efficiency. They don't just work, and, unless you have a "pure" Android tablet, don't expect updates.

I'm waiting for the next iPad Mini. My wife has an original iPad. She uses it daily in her 2nd grade classroom. Even letting the kids use it much of the time, it has survived over two years and it is still going. Pretty good testimony.

Jeff

Expect it in October, but it's not certain whether it'll have a Retina display or not. I'll be updating our 3rd generation iPad to iOS 7 tomorrow, in case anyone has questions.

Apple gear is not overpriced for what it offers. And don't expect value in hardware that a company offers at or near their manufacturing cost.
They are nowhere near their manufacturing price (specifically iPhones). $238 (roughly) for a 64GB iPhone that retails for roughly $749.
Android products aren't much better (unsubsidized prices - you can't use subsidized as they are not true costs on either one).

You also ignore the lower standard of app quality on the Android platform, and the fact that you usually need security software and a system optimization utility (sometimes they are in one app) to get the most efficiency. They don't just work, and, unless you have a "pure" Android tablet, don't expect updates.
OR, unless you run a custom ROM (something that is easily done with most of the Android products but that cannot be done with Apple's. And as long as I've been using Android I've never been hit with malware or a virus. I don't go out willy-nilly downloading everything in sight either though. And the products that I need are pretty much equal - and in some cases the Android product is above the Apple one as well as some not even being available on the IOS platform. I have yet to find a decent vehicle maintenance one that can hold a candle to aCar.

You can bet I'm going to ignore alot of what you say because your painting Android tablets, Android in general in a false light. Specifically what security flaw, version of android is this in? I get updates OTA just like Apple owners do for a fraction of the price. I just thought I'd throw myself into the conversation since you clearly are biased towards Apple and really giving some really bad advice.

Nexus Range at OP or try APPLE but the nexus range of tablets are sturdy, reliable and you get OTA updates just like apple IPad owners do. Granted the quality of apps or some on the android market are crap but so are some on the apple store so it's really what tablet fits best for you and your needs.

Prime considerations:

1) High resolution
2) 3G/4G
3) 10.1 Inch
4) Fair amount of memory

Thoughts?

What kind of mobile device/ecosystem do you have right now? Where do you get music? etc.

Expect it in October, but it's not certain whether it'll have a Retina display or not. I'll be updating our 3rd generation iPad to iOS 7 tomorrow, in case anyone has questions.
You're a brave soul. I never upgrade to any of their .0 releases. I'll let the others do the actual bug squashing and wait for the point upgrade. Not to mention I don't want to lose the JB I have on my 5 right now. I use the tethering feature frequently (still have unlimited data).

You're a brave soul. I never upgrade to any of their .0 releases. I'll let the others do the actual bug squashing and wait for the point upgrade. Not to mention I don't want to lose the JB I have on my 5 right now. I use the tethering feature frequently (still have unlimited data).
Well if you jailbreak it, whatever happens is your own responsibility.

Well if you jailbreak it, whatever happens is your own responsibility.
Why do you think I pay cash for my products. I don't subsidize my prices through the carriers for the phone. If it breaks it's my responsibility.
But that belabors the point that typically (recently) the .0 releases from Apple have been fairly quickly followed up by a point release because of bugs.

Top Bottom