Help me choose a tablet.

Jailbreaking has nothing to do with where you bought it.
It has to do with the fact that I take responsibility for it since I purchase it and don't believe in being beholden to someone for it.
Again, as I added onto my original post you quoted:
But that belabors the point that typically (recently) the .0 releases from Apple have been fairly quickly followed up by a point release because of bugs.
And don't get the opinion I'm an Apple hater. I have a forum devoted to strictly Apple products.

Yes, there are always bug fixes. Welcome to the tech industry. :)

And unless you get the pure "Nexus" Android gadget, the chances of getting a bug fix are slim to none.

Yes, there are always bug fixes. Welcome to the tech industry. :)

And unless you get the pure "Nexus" Android gadget, the chances of getting a bug fix are slim to none.
Really? How can you explain the OTA's I've gotten (and the latest soak test invitation I got) for my Motorola RAZR MAXX. Also the updates I've gotten for my S3. Don't try to feed ME that line as I actually OWN the devices (and the phones are currently active on lines - that's why my monthly cell phone bill hits $832) and see what gets pushed out to a wide variety of them long term.

Look at the stats. The majority of Android uses still use older OS versions with no prospect of getting updates. As to your updates: Remember who owns Motorola Mobility, or do I have to remind you. :)

Look at the stats. The majority of Android uses still use older OS versions with no prospect of getting updates. As to your updates: Remember who owns Motorola Mobility, or do I have to remind you. :)
Why do you think I own several Motorolas? I especially like the build quality, battery life, durability and call clarity of the RAZR series. They've pretty much been bullet proof for us. My wife uses a MAXX HD, my son has a MAXX and I have the other MAXX's here at the house. I've gotten plenty of updates on the S3 also (the benefit to Android is they don't always have to blow out a full version of the OS just to fix bugs - unlike with IOS (which they could do if they wanted to but choose not to). Point of fact was the Xoom was really a bad joke over-all - but it was (and is) fun to play with.
It's readily apparent that you are firmly entrenched in the Apple belief - and I am not here to change that (just to prove my point, I'm on a Mac Mini right now). BUT, stating blanket statements like you did that can be easily disproven is something that I do believe in. Each device has its strengths and weaknesses. Apple believes in locking everything down into a nanny state and Google (with Android) believes in being more open - and each has its detractors and it's flag-wavers.

You've fallen for the rumors. Apple is not a "nanny state." Yes, they curate App Store apps, but 99% of customers benefit by knowing someone is accountable in case an app is seriously flawed.

And, yes, over the air updates to the iOS can now be "delta" or incremental. They don't have to be the full OS. You're a little behind the times.

Yes, Motorola makes some good stuff. My wife has a six-year-old original RAZR feature phone, and it still works great. Her iPhone 5c, however, arrives Friday. :)

Apple is very, very far from perfect, but some of these myths about what they do and how they do it just won't go away. Apple made a huge deal about offering OTA delta updates a year or two back.

You've fallen for the rumors. Apple is not a "nanny state." Yes, they curate App Store apps, but 99% of customers benefit by knowing someone is accountable in case an app is seriously flawed.
Really... so IOS is an unlocked environment - WRONG. The App Store is also a closed ecology (by it's very nature requiring "approval" of apps and laying out what allowed applications are). I think you may have been looking in a mirror when you made that statement. ;)

And, yes, over the air updates to the iOS can now be "delta" or incremental. They don't have to be the full OS. You're a little behind the times.
Yes, Motorola makes some good stuff. My wife has a six-year-old original RAZR feature phone, and it still works great. Her iPhone 5c, however, arrives Friday. :)
Not behind the times. I've gotten them OTA (before I JB the phones - and then had to go back into DFU and do a restore from iTunes for clean code) and realize that they are merges into existing code. BUT, they are not the same type of merge that Android performs (the end result from an OTA is different on IOS than an upgrade from iTunes for the end code result). The merge from Android is not.
No way would I go for the 5c. For the difference in price I'd just wait for the 5s instead. But, neither of them meet MY requirements, which is a minimum of a 4.7" screen.
What I find so funny is all the yelling that the Apple fanbois did about the "plastic' Samsung S3/S4 series - and now they are about to wet their britches over the 5c. If that's not the perfect definition of wearing blinders then I don't know what is. :LOL:

Apple is very, very far from perfect, but some of these myths about what they do and how they do it just won't go away. Apple made a huge deal about offering OTA delta updates a year or two back.
Yes, and I admit that I had forgotten about them as to JB cleanly you should not use the OTA updates as they have been proven to provide a different code base than the iTunes upgrade method.

Myths, myths and more myths.

I didn't say iOS was unlocked. Windows isn't unlocked either. Another silly straw man argument. A company has the right to have a proprietary operating system and to license or not license as they wish. Android has the worst of open source ills, which is that it's scattered, and many people do not have an opportunity to get an OTA in the normal course of events. If there's a security fix, too bad.

I didn't yell at Samsung for making plastic. The original iPhones were plastic.

Actually, some media analysts, alleged, are complaining that the iPhone 5c is plastic, and thus bad. But they will claim that the Samsung Galaxy S4 is good, but it's still plastic.

I get it that some people want the larger screen. But it shouldn't be the only criterion for selecting a smartphone or tablet.

Myths, myths and more myths.
I didn't say iOS was unlocked. Windows isn't unlocked either. Another silly straw man argument. A company has the right to have a proprietary operating system and to license or not license as they wish. Android has the worst of open source ills, which is that it's scattered, and many people do not have an opportunity to get an OTA in the normal course of events. If there's a security fix, too bad.
Definition of a nanny state:
the government regarded as overprotective or as interfering unduly with personal choice

Replace government with Apple and it's the same. You have all the personal choice you want with IOS - as long as it's Apple's. ;)

No myth to that. To get true "personal choice" (like custom icons, dock that scrolls, etc) you have to JB. If you don't think that it's locked down then you are dreaming. With Windows I can add custom icons, add a start button (on Windows 8) and other functions that you cannot with IOS. With Android there are a selection of launchers that will replace the factory ones. You cannot do that with IOS.

And the media analyst are not the point. The point being that those that screamed plastic was bad period are now ga-ga over the plastic 5c.

We've taken this way off topic so this will be my last post on THIS subject.
The @Pope Viper really needs to decide what he wants to do with the tablet and then go out to the store and play with the various ones and make a decision on that.

Welcome to the world of the absurd and ridiculous.

So go change the OS on your Xbox or Playstation, if you can. Apple is selling you a vertically integrated product. You can buy or not, but that doesn't make a company with an integrated product equivalent to a "nanny state." What about the OS that powers your TV set's interface?

Most users don't care about all that customization. They buy a smartphone or tablet to actually do something real, not fiddle with icons. That's the market to which Apple caters. If you don't like it buy something else.

About your last comment: Bear in mind that, by last count, 84% of online tablet traffic is from iPads, even though Apple's share of the market is much less. You cannot routinely check the apps and performance beyond the ones that ship with a tablet in the store. You have to do your research and see which models will perform the tasks you want best. If you get off on changing icons or start buttons, you have choices. Apple moved in another direction.

But where Macs are concerned, you can actually do a fair amount of customization. And if you know your command line, there are immense possibilities for wasting time doing nothing productive. :)

I'm curious @Tracy Perry. What are the benefits in your opinion of having an "open environment" ? Because with Google's acquisition of Motorola, they are steaming full speed ahead towards a more closed, regulated environment.

I'm curious @Tracy Perry. What are the benefits in your opinion of having an "open environment" ? Because with Google's acquisition of Motorola, they are steaming full speed ahead towards a more closed, regulated environment.
Ability to install software that you select from various sources you select. Ability to install a custom ROM if you choose to. Ease in customization.
A LOT of the "closed" stuff being done to phones is being done at the carriers request.

What about mobile malware?
What about it? I've had Android phones since they were released and have never had it on ANY of my hardware. Nor has my son, my wife or my daughter.
Like a computer - you just have to be selective and watch what permissions the apps request and if unfamiliar with it don't install them.
Some of my friends joke that the iPhone is the phone for the computer illiterate and Android is the technically inclined.

Last edited:
I don't recommend ever getting anything from Apple. Ever.

Apple is a "walled garden". The moment you get an Apple device, you're pretty much stuck with them forever.

I would recommend the 2nd generation of the Microsoft Surface Pro tablet (when it comes out, its supposed to be officially announced on September 23). Except for the poor battery life, the first generation is literally the best tablet available on the market in the fact that it is in itself, a computer.

Last edited:
I've got a Nexus 7 and an iPad 3. I have to recommend the iPad. Even the Nexus, Google's own device is not anywhere near as responsive or user friendly as the iPad.

I do hope this will change, but so far Google have not made any attempt to do so, instead only focus on changing the black/neon colorscheme every damn OS update they do.

Whilst Android is a LOT more open, iPad is way better if you actually want to get anything done. Be it browsing, playing games, etc.

Stay WELL AWAY from crappy Windows tablets - they aren't even worth being talked about in the sam league. Their sales figures should be enough of a warning.

Ability to install software that you select from various sources you select. Ability to install a custom ROM if you choose to. Ease in customization.
A LOT of the "closed" stuff being done to phones is being done at the carriers request.
TECHNICALLY you can install any OS you like on an iPhone/iPad/TV/DVD Player/Remote Control/Fridge/whatever. However just because it can be done, doesn't mean people want it. The average joe couldn't give a flying duck if Android & iOS is open or not. They're buying a tablet to play a couple of games and browse the web on, not hack away at and tweak every aspect of it.

Most people couldn't give a damn, they just want a consistent, reliable and fast tablet - something which Apple has clearly shown to be better at so far.

Google need to get their affairs in order. Whilst thy are way better than they were, the Android UI is still a minefield of poor UX and butt ugly design, it puts average joe's off big time.

I don't recommend ever getting anything from Apple. Ever.

Apple is a "walled garden". The moment you get an Apple device, you're pretty much stuck with them forever.

I would recommend the 2nd generation of the Microsoft Surface Pro tablet (when it comes out, its supposed to be officially announced on September 23). Except for the poor battery life, the first generation is literally the best tablet available on the market in the fact that it is in itself, a computer.
This is nonsense.

Wouldn't you call a Surface a "walled garden," since you're stuck with Microsoft's ecosystem forever?

What about a PlayStation?

Do you at all wonder why few people want a Surface?

Do you think the owners of those 700 million iOS gadgets are prisoners?

Top Bottom