XF 2.2 Heirarchy of template modifications

Wildcat Media

Before I begin working on something in frustration...

I am looking to customize the output of a third-party add-on that I downloaded. As an example, I want to move the extra information it provides to a line beneath where it is currently displaying, in the same template.

I realize that execution order will affect which modifications are applied first. But that isn't the question.

I also realize I have the option of turning off that particular template modification for the third-party add-on and creating my own, but I could foresee using the add-on and my modification in the future on another project, forgetting exactly what I did, and then wonder why it's not working as I want it to. Plus, I feel my own add-on should automatically take care of modifying the output of the third-party add-on without intervention.

But here's my somewhat convoluted question. Let's say the add-on's template modification is set for an execution order of 10. All it does is a simple replacement operation. In my new template modification, I'm not sure what I'd use in the Find: field. This is what I'm guessing: The add-on's template modification is applied, and that becomes the new template.

So if I wanted to modify that, wouldn't I have to set my Replace: field to include the portion of the template that includes the add-on's modification, and then modify it further from there? (I realize I'd have to set my execution order to a number higher than 10 to make it work.)

Or would I need two modifications? One to automatically undo the previous modification (execution order 11), and a second one to perform the modification I want to do (execution order 12)?

Again, I want to automate it so I don't have to worry about disabling the third-party add-on's template modification. More for my own sanity and ease of use in the future.

Options:

1. check with the addon developer
2. look for template customizations by the addon, find what you want moved, and edit that template to move the displayed line and move it down lower in the template.

Everything else you're suggesting up is way too complicated and almost certainly unnecessary.

I think Xon's Standard Library add-on will be very helpful for you.
It has an option to exactly show how multiple template modifications are applied in the hierarchy you are talking about.
You should really check this out:

The extra view will be available in your ACP / Template modifications

I think Xon's Standard Library add-on will be very helpful for you.
It has an option to exactly show how multiple template modifications are applied in the hierarchy you are talking about.
You should really check this out:

The extra view will be available in your ACP / Template modifications
I already have it installed--I'll have to check that feature out. I've been under pressure to get some upgrades in place, so things have been a bit rushed here.

Top Bottom