Lack of interest Heal broken quotes

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

HWS

People often edit the content of quotes and unintentionally delete the last character of the quote bbcode.

Like so:
Code:
[quote="Private, post: 12345, member: 123"

This is the edited content[/quote]

Can you add a function to check if the last "]" character of the starting bbcode in a quote or the first "[" character of the ending bbcode is missing and automatically add them?

It would help a lot.

Upvote 3
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
ha, I know this problem from vBulletin and I strongly am hoping, the problem will be gone after migrating to xF and teaching my users to use QuoteME add-on :D

ha, I know this problem from vBulletin and I strongly am hoping, the problem will be gone after migrating to xF and teaching my users to use QuoteME add-on :D

Our site features the marvellous "Quote Me" add-on from @cclaerhout (Thank you!). But nevertheless we get many new broken quotes in posts daily.

Such a healing function in the core product would be perfect. And it is rather easy to implement too. It needs just a loop to a regex detecting broken quotes after receiving a new post.

It is just needed for Quotes bbcode, because that is what people almost always edit manually.

A fix might be done with a regex, but it will not match the parser logic. Another solution might be to use a html tag (may be the "q" tag) with the wysiwyg mode to make it almost invisible to users and prevent the risks of deletion. This tag would still need a layout to avoid to be mixed with the common text. But the problem will be then to edit the source or the author if we need to.

So the easier at the moment seem to teach your users how to use a basic Bb Code ^^ Of course it's easier to do this on a small board than on a big one.

@HWS
  • I've found a bug in the parser fix function of the TinyQuattro addon that breaks quotes when the wysiwyg editor is called from the bbcode editor. Ie: [quote]aaaa[/quote] becomes [quote]aaaa[/quote][/quote] . It might be your problem too. I will fix it in the next release (soon). If you want to do it now, change the line 492 of this file with this:
    PHP:
        $string = preg_replace('#\[((?:/)?)(\w+?)_parser_fix\](?:\[\1\2\])?#ui', '[$1$2]', $string);
    Explanation: XenForo 1.2 auto fixes missing closing tag whereas the addon parser fix modifies it too but after.

• The html tag in the wysiwyg mode seems possible with the blockquote tag and a few options
    dmeo.webp
    • The dom management seems quite easy, the only problem is the bottom blank line below the blockquote is deleted, the user is then stuck inside it (well it can be deleted though). It should be fixed I think.No need to fix, Mce has already a function for this
    • It's still missing an interface to change the username/postid/memberid, which should be relatively easy to do from the mce button interface
    • The wysiwyg <> bbcode conversion is done
    • Still needs to extend the wysiwyg formatter to display this custom blockquote when editing a message Done

Last edited:
Top Bottom