Implemented  Head Navigation Tab

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I think the left your account is perhaps obsolete in this concept, I really like the right dropdown.

I don't use my username dropdown menu at all, much prefer those links in the header :D
I see the left area as "the forum content navigation" and the right part to reflect as to content and account stuff, that reflects to just me.

Dropping the 'Account' tab and using the username area to achieve the same functionality has been on my todo list for some time.

I wouldn't mind if the account gets a row less, but a bit wider, so there's space for a few more links for now and the future, as well as having some info like threads/posts/trophies, .. i think it could be done without too much clutter.

4 items out of the 'Yourname' dropdown menu are also appearing in the 'Your Account' menubar. Not that there's is anything 'wrong' with it, just interested to know what the thoughts behind it are.

When I see a link called 'Your Account' you'd expect more or less that you are linked to your Settings/Preferences and stuff like that. But these are now to be found inside the 'Yourname' dropdown. Together with the 4 links who are already present in the Your Account bar.

your account - your name.webp

Actually, I have no suggestion this time, because there's not much to comment on ;). I am just thinking out loud, how I find myself sometimes searching for the right options (this product is just a week old, you know) and where it would be most logical to find them.

Just different ways to get there, I suppose

If there were a discussion to remove Your Account from the upper left navigation, I would be in favor :)

It's just a set of quick links. Some people may forget about the drop-down and go straight to the account or vice-versa. I'm not particularly bothered because I never use the sub-navigation! :D

Seems like a logical way to make the design more simple while still rataining functionality. I vote we remove the Your Account Drop down.

If there were a discussion to remove Your Account from the upper left navigation, I would be in favor :)

I agree, because the only link not in the username drop-down is "Personal conversations", but that's made up for with the "Inbox" link next to the username drop-down.

I too favour the removal of Your Account for its duplication.
I would at least consider it, it certainly seems redundant to me at the moment, and less things to confuse people.

I think this area could be improved. For instance, is there any reason to have all the user options available when viewing watched threads? I keep asking myself that.

I think this area could be improved. For instance, is there any reason to have all the user options available when viewing watched threads? I keep asking myself that.
It's part of "Your Account" (aka the User CP), so yes. Anything related to "you" (your news feed, watched threads, etc.) is within the your account area, which includes all of the side navigation links.

It's part of "Your Account" (aka the User CP), so yes. Anything related to "you" (your news feed, watched threads, etc.) is within the your account area, which includes all of the side navigation links.
Well yes, I see the logic of course. But if you think about the basic UI 'flow' when using a forum, how often do you see Watched Threads vs all the other things that show up? In theory the Watched Threads could be in the Your Account, but also have just the Watched Threads show up when the dedicated Watched Threads button is clicked.

I really don't want to take this thread off topic too far though.

IMO, good UI design provides for different ways to do the same thing, because we each think differently.

You have said this a few times, and we disagree. I have done several case studies with users with a broad range of technical abilities, and the general results have been "the fewer ways to do things, the simpler it is for them".

Well, good navigation should get more specific as it gets transversed (goes down the hierarchy) and in this care it does so no problem there, we just need to make sure that there aren't any duplicity in the layout and in this care there are.

Top Bottom