Have your usage of forums changed?

Nudaii

I like forums, recently renewed my xf licence for my private community, so i am not bashing forums, nor saying they are dead etc, but it dawned on me the other day apart from this forum or my own role play forum, i never use them, if i am looking for tips on wow i google World of warcraft reddit, if i am looking for recipes i will look up a cooking blog or a reddit, facebook group etc

As soon as i hear of a new book, movie, tv show, game or news event i am 99% of the time going to look for a reddit to discuss it and the thought to join a forum to discuss it literally never even crosses my mind.

Curious how many other admins rarely use forums other than their own?

M@rc

I don't look for forums and seek out a place to discuss topics. Forums eventually find me from a Google search or some website I passed by.

I actively use several forums. On some I ask questions, on some I answer questions, on others I talk about topics I'm interested in when someone makes an interesting discussion.

jmurrayhead

I'd have to say my usage of forums has gone down massively. Even in searches, my information is now ending up coming from somewhere else where I don't have to search pages of posts for the answer. The more I think about it, the more I understand why. Using forums from my phone just isn't that simple.

Rudy

My forum usage is about the same as it was in the past, or has increased. Partly due to the specialized nature of the topics, and the quality of discussions.

I do not trust sites like Reddit--I think the quality of discussions on any I've seen are total crap. Typical Internet trolls and such, who think their ill-informed opinions matter. I have taken to blocking Reddit in my search results in Google. As for sites like StackExchange (and those in their network), I dislike the elitist "holier than thou" attitudes of many on there, and find the advice given to often be incorrect with too much infighting and heavy-handed moderation. At least with forums, the members are more friendly, and the posers/trolls are easily weeded out, thanks to other members calling them out.

Many forums I am part of are still growing.