have you heard?: moot

Has no one picked up on the name? Moot...... seriously? They've called it Moot... which means "of little value" . .. and considering the forum wouldn't load for me, just hangs on the loading status, it seems that Moot is indeed moot.

Has no one picked up on the name? Moot...... seriously? They've called it Moot... which means "of little value" . .. and considering the forum wouldn't load for me, just hangs on the loading status, it seems that Moot is indeed moot.

That happened to me the first couple of times when i first tried to see what the fuss was all about. I just put it down to "more waiting is required" and hell if i wasn't wrong in thinking that because waiting is what I did. :laugh:

MOOT is an Saxon root word which means a meeting. Saxon village moots were the origin of what became parliament.
Today there are moots all over the country in Britain for special interest meetings.

MOOT is an Saxon root word which means a meeting. Saxon village moots were the origin of what became parliament.
Today there are moots all over the country in Britain for special interest meetings.
Yes, I know that. It also means "of little value or of little use" - as in a moot point... bit like you explaining something I'm aware of already ;)

It actually means to raise a subject for discussion or debate. So, in that case, the name makes perfect sense.

Most people use the word incorrectly, but it's all about context.

Well, its better than discourse lol, though not being able to host it yourself immediately alienates a masisve part of the market.

It actually means to raise a subject for discussion or debate. So, in that case, the name makes perfect sense.

Most people use the word incorrectly, but it's all about context.
It does, but it can also be used to describe this back and forth - a moot point - arguing a point that's open to debate :D I love words and the various ways they can be used LOL

It does, but it can also be used to describe this back and forth - a moot point - arguing a point that's open to debate :D I love words and the various ways they can be used LOL

The context in which you're using it came years later though, and mostly within law schools to describe an argument about a theoretical case as an exercise. Our little debate isn't theoretical or hypothetical, but it is starting to turn academic, I suppose. So, fair enough. :)

I do agree though, that words are interesting. Context is definitely everything.

The context in which you're using it came years later though, and mostly within law schools to describe an argument about a theoretical case as an exercise. Our little debate isn't theoretical or hypothetical, but it is starting to turn academic, I suppose. So, fair enough. :)

I do agree though, that words are interesting. Context is definitely everything.
I didn't claim it was the original meaning at any point :p To be honest, I was just having a bit of fun with the name because I like words, and the context I was using it in is the one most people would be aware of.

And I agree... context is definitely everything and can make words so very very entertaining!!! :D

Me too - love words.
I can see that moot as your back and forth - a moot point - arguing a point that's open to debate still means a meeting or gathering in pre-net days, Probably if something was a moot point it was being defined as suitable for the next village moot/ But was moots encourage pontificating it would acquire connotations of unnecessary fuss as well.

I didn't claim it was the original meaning at any point :p To be honest, I was just having a bit of fun with the name because I like words, and the context I was using it in is the one most people would be aware of.

And I agree... context is definitely everything and can make words so very very entertaining!!! :D

I dunno if you remember, and kind of unrelated but when we held that Meat the staff week. I know that was a terrible week to be a staff member. :D Heck we even had a Meat the staff page or atleast I was thinking of titling the tabs that.

Sorry bit off topic.

I like it, but as others have commented, it's not really a forum. To me it feels more like a cross between online chat and a forum. I think I'd go mad if I ported my 200,000 posts into it - it doesn't lend itself well to structure and historic posts/information, more to immediate interaction.

I think it embraces something important that underpins Xenforo and we should all learn from - the art of minimalism and concentrating on the exchange between people, not on silly stats in the postbit, signatures and other distractions. But these concepts are core in Xenforo (though many choose to send their forums back in time by adding all that back in).

The thread/post view was good with the way it expands and so on (like the default view on IPB with the expanding preview), but I didn't care for the focus being on the most recent posts. Just makes reading long threads counter intuitive (you need to click twice, once to expand, again to show all the posts).

I like the way it reduces screen space overheads like avatar size and padding (and no signatures, thank god!) to condense posts, makes it look nice.

But sadly, the forum is full of people wanting to add this feature and that. The developers are already saying in some cases, they don't want that feature, as the point of Moot is to reduce bloat. All things considered, this just goes to show how good Xenforo is - we have a minimalist forum to start with here but massively feature packed and above all, intuitive.

I can see Moot is going to work so well in some cases though, especially new forums (nothing worse than a fully loaded XF, vB or IPB with just three posts and two members in!). The ease of installation is stunning. So I wonder how many forums can just stuff a Moot in their sites, get some traffic and members, then move up to a proper forum?

I dunno if you remember, and kind of unrelated but when we held that Meat the staff week. I know that was a terrible week to be a staff member. :D Heck we even had a Meat the staff page or atleast I was thinking of titling the tabs that.

Sorry bit off topic.
*dies* God, yeah I remember that LOL

Makes me think of 4chan tbh.

moot.jpg

What I was getting at...was directly to do with your comment about the reply.

..the reply is there if you are hovering over that conversation element.

I did not say the project was perfect...there is many things with that software that need to be worked out and I found some actual errors in functionality myself just a few minutes ago. I was directly talking about the one feature you poked at that I find to be rather smart actually.

As Morgain pointed out...there is issues with a level of understanding from different user perspectives..I just don't think the reply box hiding from an element you are not hovering or active on is one of those issues. Navigation to and from threads seems to be harder to understand for some if anything.
That's all very well if you think so, but I don't. ;)

Hover to see should not be used for the most basic essential functions.
If you want them used, make them static, solid, visible and simple.

There are amazing numbers of users who only know how to point and click what they see - and then only when blindingly obvious.
We all have years pf net experience. They dont.

Sorry bit off topic.

Sounds painful. :p

Top Bottom