Has the Contact Us just changed?

Paul B

XenForo moderator
Staff member
About 10 minutes ago it was a page but now it's a pop up overlay.

Am I going mad? :confused:

Not sure which one I prefer...

It's bliss to see how flexible the system already is, it looks simple, but there's stuff going on under the hood that helps turn complexity into simplicity.

To all you non tech savvy users out there MVC means model view controller and i can assume that it's the framework that this software is being built on.
Model View Controller is a design philosophy.

• Model (Processing)
  • View (Output)
  • Controller (Input)
Let's look at a situation that is the exact opposite of MVC. I'm talking about the typical PHP script that accesses and displays information out of a typical MySQL database. The user asks for a specific piece of information (say a guestbook page). So we grab some information out of different tables in the MySQL database, interpret that data, load a template, build some HTML, and display an HTML page. Everything happens "just in time", and relationships between the data, structure, and visible layout of information are all married together.

If you want to change anything in what kind of data is stored, how it's displayed, how it's parsed, etc., you will probably have to make changes to the database, the "loading" code, the interpreting code, the html output code, etc. etc Everything has to be changed every time you add something new.

With MVC, you break all the connections between how the data is stored, used, and displayed. Instead of every single part of your code having to match up and understand the data (both how it's stored, how to interpret it, how it's inter-connected in the database, and how it will be displayed), you separate everything out. The interpretation logic of the program doesn't need to how how the information will be displayed. And the display part of the program doesn't need to how the information is stored.

Hopefully I got all that right and I'm not talking too much out of my tookus.

P.S. My understanding is the xenForo is mostly pure PHP, with jQuery for Javascript effects, and there is some Zend framework as well.

Amongst other things, that's the crux of it, yes.

Oh how sweet it is...
We went with Joomla as our CMS not for the joomla CMS but for the fully MVC platform that it was built upon. To have what seems to be (spiritually) what was meant to be vB 4.0 to go along with it and fully MVC as it was meant to be before IB arfed everything up. I'm overcome. This has been SUCH a good few days!
:) :)

Top Bottom