Has anybody considered the .communty extension in a domain name?

Joe Kuhn

I'm considering using a domain name like "forumtopic.community". The owner of the forum likes it and the usual .com version is parked with no response to my request to buy. It's parked with HostGator who has been less than clear about what to do about my picking it up. Current reg expires at the end of next month with a forum launch two weeks later. Dot communiity seems entirely appropriate and is available. Thoughts anyone?

most likely, I would pass. How long has the domain been registered? Just because it is set to expire means very little, if the domain has been registered long enough, then there is a good chance that it will be renewed again, and just because it expires does not mean you will be able to get it as the domain will go through x amount of time before it is released to the public, then there is a very slim chance that you will get it then because domain companies grab domains very quickly then put them up for sale at crazy prices.

I only go with dot.com domains, and if I cant do that, then I keep looking until something fits, and the only time I buy secondary domains like dot.net, dot.info. dot.org is if they are avail that matches dot.com as they are far less popular then dot.com. You can always think about which girl you like best, you want girl #1 however, she is not available, so you go with girl #2, which means you just end up settling on something less than perfect. I would rather go with something that I want, or not get it at all, as I do not like to settle, and develop something on 2nd, 3rd, or 4th best.

Well, I could see people misspell "community" a lot, so wouldn't recommend that.

The name of your brand has to be chosen very carefully, and the domain has to be available that does not violate any potential existing trademark laws. If a brand is avail, but the domain is not, then often it can be very expensive to obtain their dream domain for their brand, and a lot of times, people do not have any plans, much less a backup plan in case their dream domain is not available, not for sale, etc. Then they start 2nd guessing themselves by looking at alternate domains that are far less in quality and much cheaper price, which in my opinion is a mistake.

If the dot.com is not available, then the op needs to go back to the drawing board.

I could get : [subjectmatter]forum.com. That is available.

not sure I would do that either, let's say I go with JohnDoeForum.com, does that name look brandable, much less professional? The only reason I would have gone with that name was maybe because I could not get JohnDoe.com. Your domain should be as short as possible, easy to remember, and having the term "forum" in your domain is simply not necessary; People will know that it is a forum once they visit your site, not only that, adding the term "forum" to your domain, in my opinion, just lowers the overall quality of the domain, and it does not add any value other than making your URL longer. I would much rather send traffic to JohnDoe.com then JohnDoeForum.com, right? Does that make sense?

To give a little more info since you guys are being so helpful. Thanks!

This is for a book author of two self help books. His web site is feedkindness.com with the more generic theme being mindful kindness. Mindfulkindness.com and .net are taken, but feedkindness is his well established theme. The generic theme is better in my opinion so I was going to link the two. His host is horrible, so I won't go there. I haven't even looked at the other feedkindness extensions. Maybe I should do that next.

One thing to note is we already have a spelling problem with MindfulKindness.anything. Mindful has one 'L' not two. Oof.

Saw this today in the Forum Showcase area: [Initials]forums.com. For example the JoeKuhn forum domain would be jkforums.com. I kind of like that. What do you guys think?

I ended up doing what the guy paying the bills liked. It's in my signature. The reason i went with the longer .community extension was because of the way browsers type ahead so readily after you first visit a site. I picked up the .co extension as well, so i have a backup plan. Thanks.

Wait until you see yearly renewal fees.

I've registered one of those new TLDs domain that seemed reasonably priced, was considering using it, but didn't use it. Then when it was time to renew I saw price... and let it expire.

Unless domain sounds really cool to justify extortionate renew fees, get a .com

Top Bottom