Hardware configuration recommendation for VPS

daviden

I'm running my forum on a basic host right now, and we're getting error 503 now and then...
It's time to move on to VPS, or other solution.

I know there's no way to be sure, but what should you say would be a good configuration for my forum? Is 1 Gb ram enough?

http://klocksnack.se
Users: 1266
Active at the same time: ~90-150
Posts/day: ~500
Pageviews/day: ~40 000

I might add that I've deactivated file upload for now.

I'm running my forum on a basic host right now, and we're getting error 503 now and then...
It's time to move on to VPS, or other solution.

I know there's no way to be sure, but what should you say would be a good configuration for my forum? Is 1 Gb ram enough?

http://klocksnack.se
Users: 1266
Active at the same time: ~90-150
Posts/day: ~500
Pageviews/day: ~40 000

I might add that I've deactivated file upload for now.
That is a very small forum for a VPS.

If you really want the blazing-fast experience, go with a host that provides SSD storage instead of the normal HDD ones. You'll get faster I/O. And depending on your audience, choose a host that is near to what you cater to. For example, if you cater to an audience in the UK, go with a UK host. Normally you'd get faster response times and pings. If you cater to a worldwide audience then go with US.

For your current forum, 1GB of RAM would suffice. The beauty of a VPS is that you could always upgrade whenever you're ready, as long as your host is flexible. And don't settle for hosts with 100Mbps uplinks. Most already have 1Gbps , so that might add good value to your money.

Reactions: rdn
And don't settle for hosts with 100Mbps uplinks. Most already have 1Gbps , so that might add good value to your money.

99.99% of the sites hosted (especially something like his forum) will NEVER come close to saturating a 100mbps port, ever. 1gbit is complete overkill in most instances.

Thanks for the info, guys!

I'm having my web provider doing some checkups right now. They actually offered me free VPS for 1 year if they can't find any solution to my problem.

That is a very small forum for a VPS.
Then you don't want to see mine - 3 active users, about 3000 posts. 2GB 4 core 3.3Ghz. I'm going with the Boy Scout motto - Be Prepared! ;)
It also runs the blog for my wife and my Coppermine gallery.

Reactions: rdn
99.99% of the sites hosted (especially something like his forum) will NEVER come close to saturating a 100mbps port, ever. 1gbit is complete overkill in most instances.
But if the price is the same - why not take advantage of it. Folks in the U.S. that buy a bike that can do 150+ miles an hour can't use them to the full potential (unless you are on a track). :D

Yeah, I know. But still. It's worth paying for something that has the capability to burst to something faster if the prices are almost the same with something that can't.

100Mbps vs 1000Mbps isn't all about throughput.. 1000Mbps NICs have faster latency compared to 100Mbps. For web responsiveness on high concurrency loads, you'd want 1000Mbp NICs ;)

100Mbps vs 1000Mbps isn't all about throughput.. 1000Mbps NICs have faster latency compared to 100Mbps. For web responsiveness on high concurrency loads, you'd want 1000Mbp NICs ;)

You realize we're talking about microseconds right? Yep...not milliseconds...microseconds. The difference is absolutely unnoticeable for web application.

Yes, it is unnoticeable. But for system upgrades and times where you need to download big files to your server, it would make a lot more sense to use something that has the capability to burst into something faster.

Top Bottom