Handy tips

Paul B

XenForo moderator
Staff member
When deleting an FTP account via cPanel, make sure you don't also delete the files uploaded via that account or you might find your site no longer works and you have to restore from a 6 day old backup :rolleyes:

Just saying...

When deleting an FTP account via cPanel, make sure you don't also delete the files uploaded via that account or you might find your site no longer works and you have to restore from a 6 day old backup :rolleyes:

Just saying...
I corrupted my hosting account once :D.

Yet another handy tip:
When changing ownership on files, please make sure you're in the right directory.
Had a client chown -R user:user from / a couple weeks back. Needless to say, it involved a very long restore period ;)

In phpadmin, if you accidentally hit the database delete button, there's no pop up that asks you "Are you sure?", it justs deletes it.

Just sayin.

Good thread...

When moving your forum to a new server don't forget to move all the files, not just the DB.

My technical administrator moved about 5 sites and forgot the directory files where all the attachments resided for one of the forums, we lost all of attachments (which hurt a lot of threads) when the hosting account was closed, by then too late, now I delete the old placeholders from threads when I find them and replace what I can.

When deleting files through Cpanel file manager, browser-specific bugs may occur. For example, marking all files and them not showing up as marked.
This may result in accidentally deleting every single file on your site except for the one you meant to delete, when not heeding the "are you sure" warning.

Good thread...

When moving your forum to a new server don't forget to move all the files, not just the DB.

My technical administrator moved about 5 sites and forgot the directory files where all the attachments resided for one of the forums, we lost all of attachments (which hurt a lot of threads) when the hosting account was closed, by then too late, now I delete the old placeholders from threads when I find them and replace what I can.

Thought I was the only one who managed to forget the attachments when moving hosting. :oops:

Top Bottom