1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Handy tips

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Brogan, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

When deleting an FTP account via cPanel, make sure you don't also delete the files uploaded via that account or you might find your site no longer works and you have to restore from a 6 day old backup :rolleyes:

Just saying...

2. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

I corrupted my hosting account once :D.

3. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Me too :D

4. Dodgeboard

Dodgeboard Well-Known Member

Looks like someone learned a valuable lesson today...;)

5. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Active Member

Yet another handy tip:
    When changing ownership on files, please make sure you're in the right directory.
    Had a client chown -R user:user from / a couple weeks back. Needless to say, it involved a very long restore period ;)

6. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

ouch

7. glorify

glorify Well-Known Member

In phpadmin, if you accidentally hit the database delete button, there's no pop up that asks you "Are you sure?", it justs deletes it.

Just sayin.

8. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Active Member

Hope for backups?

9. AnthonyCea

AnthonyCea Well-Known Member

Good thread...

When moving your forum to a new server don't forget to move all the files, not just the DB.

My technical administrator moved about 5 sites and forgot the directory files where all the attachments resided for one of the forums, we lost all of attachments (which hurt a lot of threads) when the hosting account was closed, by then too late, now I delete the old placeholders from threads when I find them and replace what I can.

10. glorify

glorify Well-Known Member

Yeah, that was before I was smart enough to have back ups. Maybe that should have went in the biggest fail thread lol.

11. Caelum

Caelum Well-Known Member

When deleting files through Cpanel file manager, browser-specific bugs may occur. For example, marking all files and them not showing up as marked.
    This may result in accidentally deleting every single file on your site except for the one you meant to delete, when not heeding the "are you sure" warning.

12. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

Thought I was the only one who managed to forget the attachments when moving hosting. :oops:

13. AnthonyCea

AnthonyCea Well-Known Member

LOL, I'm sure thousands have made the same mistake over the years.