• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

XF 1.2 Guests posting

Hi,

On my previous forum software we allowed guests to posts and we ended up with a high conversion rate for guests registering.

I would like to do the same with Xenforo but I am concerned we will be flooded with spam unless I have something robust in place.

Now if I recall (it's been a while) we had country blocking on my old software, although it was a pain with server load.

I just wondered if anyone could suggest measures we could put in place that would minimise spam if we allowed guests to post and reply.

Thanks

Tracy Perry

Hi,

On my previous forum software we allowed guests to posts and we ended up with a high conversion rate for guests registering.

I would like to do the same with Xenforo but I am concerned we will be flooded with spam unless I have something robust in place.

Now if I recall (it's been a while) we had country blocking on my old software, although it was a pain with server load.

I just wondered if anyone could suggest measures we could put in place that would minimise spam if we allowed guests to post and reply.

Thanks
@tenants Stop Country Spam works out pretty well. If it were me, I'd buy the whole package (heck, what do I mean - I DID buy the complete package :p )

XF 1.2 does have "spam phrase" options and the ability to check posts against Akismet.
Thanks. I will implement all this and see how we get on. I'm just trying to make it easier to take part. I have a really low use of Facebook login and some say the message about posting on your behalf etc is off putting.

MikeMpls

I updated one of my larger, more active forums last night and was hit immediately hit by a bunch of spammers despite having all the antispam tools enabled.

QapTcha (slider) put an end to the profile spammers, obviously automated. Previously I relied on KeyCaptcha. Others have said this before, but QapTcha or something equivalent really needs to be in the XF core.

There seems to be a determined bunch of likely human spammers that is getting past QapTcha to make unregistered guest posts. Akismet is catching them, but I really hate having to moderate them and then make a separate visit to the forum to permanently delete the threads, and my moderators will have to view all the moderated rubbish taking over the forum index as well. Other anti-spam options allow us to choose between moderate and block/reject; Akismet only allows moderation. I would like to configure the check to delete any post that is determined by Akismet to be spam.

Tracy Perry

QapTcha (slider) put an end to the profile spammers, obviously automated. Previously I relied on KeyCaptcha. Others have said this before, but QapTcha or something equivalent really needs to be in the XF core.
I guess QapTcha started back to working? I know when I upgraded I had to go to a different captcha routine because on my forums it would not work reliably. I ended up just using @tenants CustomImgCaptcha.