Guest Posting by AddonsLab

Guest Posting by AddonsLab [Paid] 1.6.0

No permission to buy ($24.99)

AddonsLab

AddonsLab submitted a new resource:

Guest Posting by AddonsLab - Promotes creation of content by guests and new registrations without risk of increased spamming.

Add-On Information
The add-on allows guests to create threads/posts replies, and register after they have posted the content. This makes posting on your forums attractive, but handles spam message and invalid registrations automatically by periodically deleting all messages posted by guests, who did not end up registered on your site.

Admin Panel options page allows you to enable/disable posting of threads and replies. Guests see a constant message once they have...

Read more about this resource...

Cool addon!
Instead of "Name", when guest posting, I would use "Which nickname do you want?" or similar, otherwise people won't understand why their name is already taken, for example

Reactions: ehd
Cool addon!
Instead of "Name", when guest posting, I would use "Which nickname do you want?" or similar, otherwise people won't understand why their name is already taken, for example

Thank you for the suggestion. We have used the phrase just as default XenForo engine does, not only for new threads/posts by guests but also on the registration page. This is the phrase "name" and can be easily translated, however, you should note, that the phrase is used in some other pages as well, where your phrase suggested would not be appropriate (e.g. in member list). We will replace this with another phrase in our add-on when used in combination with Quick Reply or Quick Thread, but the phrase will stay the same in other areas of XenForo (e.g. full New Thread or New Reply page, registration).

Thank you!

This add-on has a somewhat poor implementation of using "Moderation queue". Posts by guests will go into moderation queue until they register and confirm their account.

Guests who don't register, their posts will be deleted after 24 hours.

This means that when you have a lot of guest posts and if there are many guests who don't bother to register after posting, your moderation queue will be full with guest posts at all times.

I wish this utilized some other way to handle this.

Bug report with Guest Posting, I have reproduced this on AddonsLab's own forums:

Be logged in (yes, not a guest)
Click Edit on any of your posts (or anyone else's if you're a mod)
Overlay opens
Edit the content
Click Save
Nothing happens on the first click -> overlay doesn't close, content doesn't get saved.
Click again on Save, now it saves the edit and overlay closes.
Same happens if you try to cancel instead of save.

It's like the Save / Cancel buttons don't activate on the first click.

When I disable Guest Posting add-on, it returns to normal with the overlays and Save and Cancel buttons work on first click.

This add-on has a somewhat poor implementation of using "Moderation queue". Posts by guests will go into moderation queue until they register and confirm their account.

Guests who don't register, their posts will be deleted after 24 hours.

This means that when you have a lot of guest posts and if there are many guests who don't bother to register after posting, your moderation queue will be full with guest posts at all times.

I wish this utilized some other way to handle this.

Thank you for your considerations. This is something we should definitely fix. For now, the product does not keep the threads for 24 hours, but only for one hour. We will implement a fix, after which the threads created by guests will not be visible in moderation queue, as well as thread/post list. We should also manage not to increase the number of items waiting for moderation. After this fix the issue should be solved.

Bug report with Guest Posting, I have reproduced this on AddonsLab's own forums:

Be logged in (yes, not a guest)
Click Edit on any of your posts (or anyone else's if you're a mod)
Overlay opens
Edit the content
Click Save
Nothing happens on the first click -> overlay doesn't close, content doesn't get saved.
Click again on Save, now it saves the edit and overlay closes.
Same happens if you try to cancel instead of save.

It's like the Save / Cancel buttons don't activate on the first click.

When I disable Guest Posting add-on, it returns to normal with the overlays and Save and Cancel buttons work on first click.

Thank you for the report. This will be fixed and released immediately.

Thank you!

AddonsLab updated Guest Posting by AddonsLab with a new update entry:

Bug-fix: editor requires two clicks to submit

This is a bug-fix release, that solves loading of guest posting JavaScript for registered users, which was causing the quick reply/post edit editors not to function properly.

We have also replaced the phrase "name" with "algp_name" which has the same value "Name". This will appear under quick reply box for guests, so you can customize it.

The new version is available for all licensed customers at
https://customers.addonslab.com/marketplace.php/my-services/

Thank you!

Read the rest of this update entry...

And could "algp_name" please also be used at the thread prompt and after the forumhome-popup when posting as a guest?

I used a similar guest-posting feature in the past. Many user complained because they were not logged in and posted. Actually there were problems.

Now I put in several sentences in the phrase "algp_name" to explain that the user is not logged in and the post will be published when registered or logged in.

Maybe some space for instructions or sentences would help above the formfields for "algp_name" and the captcha.

Last edited:
@ehd Thank you for the suggestions, we will implement the changes in phrases as requested. Later we can implement in Edit User some additional info showing that they registered using guest posting.

Thank you!

Reactions: ehd
AddonsLab updated Guest Posting by AddonsLab with a new update entry:

Moderation queue usage enhancements and content deletion for unconfirmed accounts

Here is the next release, that optimizes moderation queue usage in the product. Guest-posted threads/replies will not be any more added to the moderation queue. The threads awaiting for registration will not be visible in the thread list to moderators at all and will be listed only if the user registers.

We have also modified the way unregistered/unconfirmed users are handled. If a user does not register within an hour, their thread/post is deleted. If a user registers, but does not confirm...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Nice addon!

Please consider to add:
  • Ask for email address at post.
  • Keep thread for X hours (setting)
  • Send reminder to email address.
  • If email bounces remove thread.
Sending email reminders that the users content can only become visible after registration will greatly increase registrations.

Nice addon!

Please consider to add:
  • Ask for email address at post.
  • Keep thread for X hours (setting)
  • Send reminder to email address.
  • If email bounces remove thread.
Sending email reminders that the users content can only become visible after registration will greatly increase registrations.

Thank you for the suggestions. With this implementation, the add-on gets more "quick registration" form, which we will consider to develop further. The changes expected would be to ask only for the email (no username), send an email to the email address, and ask the user to follow a link in the email to activate their thread. Following the link will bring them to the registration page, where email address will be pre-filled and no human verification will be required anymore, as they have already confirmed it at the time of posting and by visiting the link. Once users register they will not be sent email confirmation email anymore, but activated directly (or put for moderation if XenForo is configured so). And all this could be completely optional to enable or disable and leave the product to work as now.

Please let us know your thoughts on this.

Thank you!

Top Bottom