XF 2.1 Group Promotion For Newly Registered Users

I add a couple of custom fields to the registration form and would like any newly registered users to be added automatically to a new group I just created called verified. The only option I found in group promotions settings close to what I need is "User has been registered for at least X days:" but I need the opposite of that "User has been registered for a maximum X days:".

Any idea how to achieve that?

Promote members to a new user group after x days.

Set the promotion criteria for new members to the other group to include not a member of that user group.

Thanks for responding.

Promote members to a new user group after x days.
The problem is that will apply to all registered users because the condition is "User has been registered for at least X days". Whatever number I used here, this rule will apply to both new users and all existing users. I want to apply something to users who will register in the future only.

Last edited:
What exactly are you trying to achieve?

Why do newly registered members need to be added to a new user group immediately on registration?

Additional user groups are typically only used for additional permissions, or styling.

I want verified users only to be able to post new messages. By verified I mean, their username is set to Firstname.Lastname. I adjusted the registration form to accept usernames in the above format using regex. So users are one of the following two cases:
1-A user who will register in the future. That means he will have his username set to the required format (since it's enforced using regex).
2-An existing user. Those will be provided a link to XF form where they will provide their first and last name to change their existing usernames accordingly (manually by a mod).

The expected output is to allow users with usernames set to their first.last to be able to post new messages and respond to existing ones. Other existing users who have not verified their accounts will be able to read the content only.

How will the existing members who fill out the form have their user group or permissions changed to allow them to post?

Is it a manual process which an administrator has to manage?

In that case just manually move all of the members to a new user group with posting permission removed.

They can be moved out of the group when their user name is updated.

You can use the batch update users to mass move members to a new user group.

What exactly are you trying to achieve?

Why do newly registered members need to be added to a new user group immediately on registration?

Additional user groups are typically only used for additional permissions, or styling.

I will answer your question regarding why some administrators need a forum with immediate group promotion after registration. I have an aviation forum for pilots and cabin crew.

During the registration process, I ask users to select a user field criteria that I have created: Pilot or Cabin Crew.

At the end of the registration, the user is added to two groups. The original group is "registered," and the second group is the one selected based on the user field criteria.

This setup is critical to me because the nodes are private.
Pilots should only have access to Pilots nodes, and cabin crew should only have access to cabin crew nodes.

Unfortunately, the immediate group promotion system is not included with Xenforo, and this was an issue for me. I cannot afford for my users to register and then wait for the cron job to be executed in order to access their groups.

So, to solve this problem, I installed an add-on that promotes users immediately upon registration.

Top Bottom