Lack of interest Group add-ons by developer on add-on list.

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Liam W

in memoriam 1998-2020
Just something I noticed with a few add-ons installed on my new beta 1 install.

All of the add-ons from various developers are mixed up with each other, which isn't terrible, but when the add-ons have icons that are the same, it comes out as strange to me to have them separated.

Liam

Upvote 4
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
This would be nice though to make it mandatory is another thing. I'd assume the addon.json would be used to get the "dev" in order to sort in such a way, what happens when a developer doesn't input their name in the addon.json file? Push them to the bottom in a "undefined" group maybe?

This would be nice though to make it mandatory is another thing. I'd assume the addon.json would be used to get the "dev" in order to sort in such a way, what happens when a developer doesn't input their name in the addon.json file? Push them to the bottom in a "undefined" group maybe?

You can already define a developer string, so a developer id field in the addon.json would make sense, which then uses the first available developer label in an add-on.

Liam

We can't really change the grouping of the add-on list, per se, because it's already grouped by status (Installed, Installable, Upgradeable) etc.

Unless each grouping has its own sub grouping.

That said, if I'm looking down a list, I'm more likely to be looking for the name or description of an add-on than I am the developer. I might not know the developer. I might just know a thing that it does so I'm looking in the titles for that. If I'm doing that, then I expect the entire list to be alphabetical.

I agree with Steve F that it's perhaps more feasible if there was a menu to sort or group differently, but otherwise I'm not certain I agree it's a very useful thing to provide.

The idea about having a "developer ID" and pulling the first developer string for the label seems unnecessary to me. So then the grouping would have to be based entirely on the developer string which is then susceptible to mistakes in casing, inconsistent punctuation, or spelling or similar which would then mean the same developer could end up having multiple groups which I think just ends up being more confusing.

So, ultimately, not convinced, unfortunately.

It might work better if the "Filter" box could actually search the developer info, but I think that has its own challenges.

Top Bottom