Great VPS host for Xenforo?

Nimbus Hosting come highly recommended by lots on here, including myself :-)
Depends on stats and what you're looking for - managed or unmanaged?
Nimbus Hosting come highly recommended by lots on here, including myself :-)

Nimbus seems quite overpriced for such little offerings in their packages. I've seen some other VPS hosting with more resources for Bandwidth and Disk.

I prefer managed.

Nimbus seems quite overpriced for such little offerings in their packages. I've seen some other VPS hosting with more resources for Bandwidth and Disk.

And every time you'd need something, you'd receive a nice phat bill.

We host with nimbus as well, and I am in frequent touch with the team, yet was never prompted to pay up if there was an issue that went beyond my own skill level. They have gone far beyond of what I'd call acceptable support.

We're happy to pay a little more knowing that they're there to assist us when it matters.

And every time you'd need something, you'd receive a nice phat bill.

We host with nimbus as well, and I am in frequent touch with the team, yet was never prompted to pay up if there was an issue that went beyond my own skill level. They have gone far beyond of what I'd call acceptable support.

We're happy to pay a little more knowing that they're there to assist us when it matters.
Check ServInt. I've been using them for about 7-8 years now, never had any problems they couldn't quickly solve.

Currently running XenForo on 2 VPS there.
I can recommend you WiredTree.com, they are pretty good.
You can definitely get cheaper. Until something goes wrong and then it'll end up much more expensive.

I like wiredtree's pricing and offerings.

Has anyone heard of A Small orange? Any good or no?

What about downtownhost or Futurehosting?

I like wiredtree's pricing and offerings.

Has anyone heard of A Small orange? Any good or no?

What about downtownhost or Futurehosting?
Competitor of mine once used wiretree .... I believe they had issues.

Down Town Host resells securedservers.com .... May as well go to the source
Furure Hosting resells softlayer.com ..... Again the source

Search for my previous thread on the subject in January when soon-to-be-completely-former hosting service (FatCow) couldn't handle a slight increase in interest in one of my forums (actually just in a single thread about a teacher who shagged two of her students :D ) and disabled the account, putting several forums & WordPress blogs off line.

I limited my search to U.S.-based vendors, and it boiled down to WiredTree vs. KnownHost. KnownHost seem to have a slight edge, so I went with them. Customer support has been fantastic, none of those "extra bills" have appeared. This past week I asked them to configure Apache behind LiteSpeed so I could move my sites that need PERL. Despite indicating that it was a low-priority request, they jumped on it immediately. Reliablilty & response has been fantastic in comparison to FacCow.

However, if you're not in a hurry (I was between that rock & its hard place :eek: ), I've heard that WiredTree has some killer sales.

If you're OK with UK-based hosting, Nimbus seems to have an impeccable reputation around here.

If you do go with KnownHost, a couple issues I've had:

1. "mv fromdir/* todir/ does not copy ".htaccess" files. Most XenForo installations work fine w/o it; you need it only if you need the rewrite mod to maximize SEO in URLs. However, it broke all my WordPress blogs; they looked fine until you tried to access a different page. Had to go back & manually "mv" each individual .htaccess file into place.

2. Default directory permissions seem to be stricter. For the WordPress blogs I've had to manually reset the permissions before I could upload any attachments. For my latest XF installation (the only new install I've done since the move to KnownHost), I had to manually adjust the permissions for the "data" & "internal-data" directories; don't recall having had to do that in my previous 8 XF installs. Also my installation of the ResourceManager is blocked because I can't copy the files into the existing "js" & "library" directories. Will need to wait till I'm home from work to use some low-yield nuclear options to let those files in.

3. All their neat toys (putty, PowerPanel, WHM, cPanel) use special ports that our firewall at work blocks. I can still get in any time with FTP, but you really get used to the toys. :(

Give Bigscoots.com a go.
Pretty awesome guys and someone i am glad to be apart of. Only reason I am even considering leaving them is just because I need UK hosting. But I'll likely stick with them and use them for my 2nd site as they are simply amazing and honest men there.

Top Bottom