Not planned Graphics Development Kit (GDK).

Shelley

Please Please Please when releasing the gdk (graphic development Kit) have all the images that make up the product reside on one PSD image. Sliced so that members can save all images in one click. Being .png they won't have to be saved in a specific matte (which was a gif grievance) but if they are re-colouring the images it makes sense to re-colour and save out in one click rather than multiple saving which takes a lifetime.

I recommended this to vbulletin and ignored resulting in them making a total hash of the gdk, please don't make the same mistake. Thanks for listening.

Upvote 8
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
The main problem I see with Anseurs colouring technique is that it's not a direct colour change, your overlaying the saturation and hue layer over the image effectively your overlaying colour over the mouth, eyes which cause undesirable colour shifts.

I saw it more as a slightly less time consuming tool at this point, a mere stop gap ready for something better. I suppose you could apply a layer mask to te hue/saturation layer, but I really couldn't be bothered masking every single smiley/image in that .psd! :)

The hue and saturation way of colouring smilies or any graphic for that matter, is imo, a cheap and dirty way which I hope I eliminated by providing the psd and giving members the ability to re-colour every single element. In short, it get's far better results modifying directly from the psd, vectored layers producing high quality visual top notch colour.

I agree with that, it was simply the best I could think of without the orignal smiley.psd file.

*snip*
which I hope I eliminated by providing the psd *snip*

Did I miss this somewhere in the graphics resources forum? I was vaguely aware you donated the smiles to Kier and co for the software, I didn't realize you had the original psd posted here anywhere? (I've looked at the threads in that forum by you but didn't notice any labeled as being the original XF ones.)

I saw it more as a slightly less time consuming tool at this point, a mere stop gap ready for something better. I suppose you could apply a layer mask to te hue/saturation layer, but I really couldn't be bothered masking every single smiley/image in that .psd! :)

I agree with that, it was simply the best I could think of without the orignal smiley.psd file.

Did I miss this somewhere in the graphics resources forum? I was vaguely aware you donated the smiles to Kier and co for the software, I didn't realize you had the original psd posted here anywhere? (I've looked at the threads in that forum by you but didn't notice any labeled as being the original XF ones.)

I wasn't knocking your effort btw, Even though I strongly disagree with the technique you used (this was a vbulletin trademark technique that was the only option you could take to re-colour their gdk imagery) I do appreciate the work you put in. With the images you had, you did the best or any designer could with what you had at hand. :)

With regards to the psd, I'm sure the devs will make this available at some point in the future when they are able to provide a fully fledged gdk, I see little point in spanning all xenforo imagery across a platform of source files when they can all be developed and reside within one for easier access, and less time consuming when modifying the images whether it's colour changes or image placement type alterations.

I wasn't knocking your effort btw, Even though I strongly disagree with the technique you used (this was a vbulletin trademark technique that was the only option you could take to re-colour their gdk imagery) I do appreciate the work you put in. With the images you had, you did the best or any designer could with what you had at hand.

No worries, I didn't think you were. :)

With regards to the psd, I'm sure the devs will make this available at some point in the future when they are able to provide a fully fledged gdk, I see little point in spanning all xenforo imagery across a platform of source files when they can all be developed and reside within one for easier access, and less time consuming when modifying the images whether it's colour changes or image placement type alterations.

Oh, so it's not something you releaced, just gave the psds to XF to generate the .pngs? Shame I was looking forward to opening one of them to see a masterclass in how you composed them! :D (I'd like any additional smilies I add to my forum to visually match the default ones in theme so they all have the same look, so I was going to take dimensions and swatches into account from the psd for any custom ones I could try altering to lean how)

The only graphics we ship now are the smilies (which are from a third party) and the XF logos. As such, there's no longer much call for this suggestion.

Top Bottom