Google's "Discussions and Forums" Feature

JBS

Google now has a "Discussions and Forums" section on mobile. What does everyone know about this?

Is Xenforo optimized to make sure we can appear in this section or is Google going to really only be looking at big sites like Reddit?

Last edited:
Google now has a "Discussions and Forums" section on mobile.

Got a link? When I do a google search for this, all I see is that Google has its own platform for creating discussion groups and forums. No way I'd want to build a forum there, just like Facebook. You're beholden to them, and they can pull the plug any time if you become a disfavored group or topic.

Ok... here is the video from Google Search On... it starts at 46:40 in the video...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Got a link? When I do a google search for this, all I see is that Google has its own platform for creating discussion groups and forums. No way I'd want to build a forum there, just like Facebook. You're beholden to them, and they can pull the plug any time if you become a disfavored group or topic.
Hi, where is this? Can you provide a link?

So... In helper_js_global template we can find this

HTML:
<script type="application/ld+json">
{
    "@context": "https://schema.org",
    "@type": "WebSite",
    "url": "{{ link('canonical:index')|escape('js') }}",
    "potentialAction": {
        "@type": "SearchAction",
        "target": "{{ link('canonical:search/search')|escape('js') . ($xf.options.useFriendlyUrls ? '?' : '&') . 'keywords={search_keywords}' }}",
        "query-input": "required name=search_keywords"
    }
}
</script>

Where the @type of a XenForo forum is WebSite.
But this type also exists : DiscussionForumPosting

Do you think it's worth changing or does it apply more specifically to a discussion post?

So... In helper_js_global template we can find this

HTML:
<script type="application/ld+json">
{
    "@context": "https://schema.org",
    "@type": "WebSite",
    "url": "{{ link('canonical:index')|escape('js') }}",
    "potentialAction": {
        "@type": "SearchAction",
        "target": "{{ link('canonical:search/search')|escape('js') . ($xf.options.useFriendlyUrls ? '?' : '&') . 'keywords={search_keywords}' }}",
        "query-input": "required name=search_keywords"
    }
}
</script>

Where the @type of a XenForo forum is WebSite.
But this type also exists : DiscussionForumPosting

Do you think it's worth changing or does it apply more specifically to a discussion post?
The forum root is website I believe but the actual posts is DiscussionForumPosting. I’m not 100% as I’m not currently on a laptop to check. I’d leave it like that. Google will know what forums to pick up. We’ll also know more once it rolls out to other countries other than US.

I just wanted to link this in here as it answers my original question...

Top Bottom