Google Page Speed Service

Nope, not used it. Cloudflare does everything Google Page Speed service does for free, and more. If it's any help, a search tells me...
You send traffic to Page Speed Service by pointing your DNS CNAME entry to ghs.google.com.

Nope, not used it. Cloudflare does everything Google Page Speed service does for free, and more. If it's any help, a search tells me...
Cloudflare is a CDN though. Is Google Page Speed Service a CDN?

Cloudflare doesn't work for me.

Yeah, Google Page Speed service is a CDN in the same way Cloudflare is. While you don't upload your files to it and bypass the ones on your own server like traditional CDNs, both still deliver static resources through a network of servers spread throughout the world instead of from a single location.

How come Cloudflare doesn't work for you?

Yeah, Google Page Speed service is a CDN in the same way Cloudflare is. While you don't upload your files to it and bypass the ones on your own server like traditional CDNs, both still deliver static resources through a network of servers spread throughout the world instead of from a single location.

How come Cloudflare doesn't work for you?
You know what... I knew all of that back when my site was on vBulletin 4, wanted it and applied for it. When I got their e-mail that I was accepted I was sorta clueless because I forgot all about it. I have refreshed my memory:

Q: What is Page Speed Service?

A: Page Speed Service is an online service to automatically speed up loading of your web pages. Page Speed Service fetches content from your servers, rewrites your pages by applying web performance best practices and serves them to end users via Google's servers across the globe.

Q: How does Page Speed Service work?

A: As a webmaster:
  1. You sign up and provide us with your serving and reference domains.
  2. You send traffic to Page Speed Service by pointing your DNS CNAME entry to ghs.google.com.

Oh man that sounds awesome! I'm excited again!

Cloudflare did not work because it would constantly make my site go offline. I've troubleshooted with both my host urljet and cloudflare technical support many times and they could not resolve the issues.

You know what... I knew all of that back when my site was on vBulletin 4, wanted it and applied for it. When I got their e-mail that I was accepted I was sorta clueless because I forgot all about it. I have refreshed my memory:

What is Page Speed Service?
Page Speed Service is an online service to automatically speed up loading of your web pages. Page Speed Service fetches content from your servers, rewrites your pages by applying web performance best practices and serves them to end users via Google's servers across the globe.
How does Page Speed Service work?
As a webmaster:
  1. You sign up and provide us with your serving and reference domains.
  2. You send traffic to Page Speed Service by pointing your DNS CNAME entry to ghs.google.com.

Oh man that sounds awesome! I'm excited again!

Cloudflare did not work because it would constantly make my site go offline. I've troubleshooted with both my host urljet and cloudflare technical support many times and they could not resolve the issues.
Oh right. Cloudflare-wise, I had the exact same issues even after whitelisting Cloudflare's IPs. Having mod_cloudflare installed server-side fixed it entirely for me, but YMMV.

So, you're getting the Page Speed stuff for free as long as it's in the testing phase, yeah? Heard both good and bad things about it, would love to know how it works out for you.

Oh right. Cloudflare-wise, I had the exact same issues even after whitelisting Cloudflare's IPs. Having mod_cloudflare installed server-side fixed it entirely for me, but YMMV.

So, you're getting the Page Speed stuff for free as long as it's in the testing phase, yeah? Heard both good and bad things about it, would love to know how it works out for you.
I wonder if it has something to do with me finally applying for adwords because I didn't hear anything back from them until the week I applied for adwords and I got bombarded by phone calls and text messages from google employees asking to help me with adwords. I did not answer the phone or respond to any of the texts and emails because I had been too busy.

This is taking a little longer than I thought to set up because the directions Google gives me requires me to ask my host to make some changes since the changes I make have no effect. I'm getting a VPS man...

It's connected but I can't login to my admin panel anymore. smh

Time to write some customer support tickets.

Hmm. It also broke arrowchat.

Sounds like you're having fun. Just what changes did your host need to make anyway?
Hecks nah. Google's API Panel is confusing me. It says enabled right but something is wrong so I'm gonna mess with the rewriter settings for a bit to see what could be the issue.

I tried the service today and it seemed to cause the admin logins to really freak out, kept logging out. I imagine it is a cookie issue somehow. I also saw some issues with the 'Latest Activity' feed as it would not update quite as quick... I saw a great improvement in speed but if it doesnt work. I even tried the exemptions on my server to bypass my forums all together and it will still not work properly, I imagine its still a cookie issue from WordPress to Xen using the same cookie maybe.

Thoughts?

Google has two speed options and both of them do not work well with forums

Would not recommend.

There is the standalone Speed Service you install (which caches things locally)
There is also the CDN through DNS service

If you have a VPS and want to play around with it to your own liking .... Your best bet is the local install and not the DNS option.

Cloudflare and Google Page Speed are NOT CDNs, they're Proxy services that use CDNs for some things, and they minify some things, consolidate some things (crappily), and try to act as a major security screening service. In general they're just a huge pain in the ass and buggy as hell though. They won't even come close to touching the speed enhancements of a properly setup framework and traditional CDN (they even admit themselves googleapis hosting rocks their **** hard, so their "rocket" loader is pointless for most things anyways).

Cloudflare and Google Page Speed are NOT CDNs, they're Proxy services that use CDNs for some things, and they minify some things, consolidate some things (crappily), and try to act as a major security screening service. In general they're just a huge pain in the ass and buggy as hell though. They won't even come close to touching the speed enhancements of a properly setup framework and traditional CDN (they even admit themselves googleapis hosting rocks their **** hard, so their "rocket" loader is pointless for most things anyways).
I've tried to explain that here in the past. :p

Top Bottom