"Google May 2020 Core Update" affecting your xF Forum?

But yeah, you could just set up multiple thumbnails to be processed on upload. I'd like that anyway, because I'd like a full-width embed size but have option to save original file.

arn
do you have an idea why xF team still didn't implement it?
I just can't imagine a single reason why would they decide not to implement it.

I guess I was thinking of the auto resizing service like Thumbor or Cloudflare.
I actually implemented such a thing on my forum. I set max 2000px for attachments, and they are resized on a fly to max 1024px (for those that are inserted full width in posts). And it's free for me. ) They have free plan up to 3Gb a month, and I fit. When cloudflare asks $200 a months. o_O

Site structure plays a part. but we are dealing with long-long tail searches, generally.

The problem is we don't know what threads are important (good quality) and what aren't important. Which means they are also all equally unimportant. If you don't know what threads are important on your own forum, then how would google know?

arn

Perhaps date stamps + inbound links + social activity/shares might help. Things that are timely and relevant, with active links/comments happening, etc. Not everyone on a forum is talking about a topic that was posted in 2005, even if it is still a little bit relevant today.

For example, a thread might have been important years ago, but with little/no recent interactions, that value drops.

Ever see those bloggers who change the date every year? heh.....

Articles like.... Top 20 Coffees to Drink this Christmas 2020

Sometimes you can view the source or url or even search the title with the older date and see it's been the same article since about 2015 LOL

BUT THEY STILL RANK!!!!

Perhaps date stamps + inbound links + social activity/shares might help. Things that are timely and relevant, with active links/comments happening, etc. Not everyone on a forum is talking about a topic that was posted in 2005, even if it is still a little bit relevant today.

For example, a thread might have been important years ago, but with little/no recent interactions, that value drops.

Ever see those bloggers who change the date every year? heh.....

Articles like.... Top 20 Coffees to Drink this Christmas 2020

Sometimes you can view the source or url or even search the title with the older date and see it's been the same article since about 2015 LOL

BUT THEY STILL RANK!!!!

I actually thought about changing the topic start date to last edited time but wasn't sure if this will really help.

Maybe i should give it a try.

If you don't know what threads are important on your own forum, then how would google know?
I thought about this for a bit, and I think it's the other way around.

Sadly, Google will tell you what what it finds to be sought-after, helpful content.

Keep in mind, this is all about what people are searching for, and whether or not Google deems your content worthy of surfacing.

It's not worth debating why or how Google makes its decisions, or why they so drastically & negatively affected some of our site's traffic in May. That ship has sailed, so now we have to see what the path forward is.

Here's a common technique used to help improve the search ranking of an article. Use Google Search Console to see what keywords/phrases are driving traffic to a certain page, identify the main theme of the phrases, and then thoughtfully update your content utilizing as many of the same or similar keywords/phrases, adding as much value to the reader as possible.

I'm over-simplifying it a bit, but that's the idea.

I've been testing the same technique in some of the more commonly visited threads to see if that helps SEO of those threads (to get more traffic to them). Not enough data yet to know if it's helping any, but time will tell.

We also had an add-on written to allow us to set the URL of a thread, and over-ride the default sluggified-title URL that Xenforo generates. Trying to see if that helps too.

Since this thread is primarily about the May 2020 core update, and it's effects on certain sites, I'm still going to look at before/after Search Console traffic to see if there's any pattern to where we lost all the traffic.

Maybe Google will do future Core updates that will resurface our content, and maybe they won't.

So my focus is on trying to find a solution.

Articles like.... Top 20 Coffees to Drink this Christmas 2020. Sometimes you can view the source or url or even search the title with the older date and see it's been the same article since about 2015 LOL

BUT THEY STILL RANK!!!!
Well, I doubt they are the same exact article that was published in 2015. If that were the case, Google would unlikely continue to rank it.

Articles like that are constantly updated. Not only the titles, but the content.

Of course there are always exceptions, especially if the site is considered an "authority" in Google's eyes.

There are definitely cases where crap content ranks over better content, but there's not much we can do about that other than try to make sure our content & our site is seen as an authority.

I've been trying to dig into the major drop in traffic as a result of the May 2020 Algo update.

As far as I can tell, the primary issue is a huge drop in the number of search impressions where we showed up.

1594172337315.webp

1594172349958.webp

Here's one example, on a change in search phrase volume:

May 4, "brooks brothers outlet", Impressions:373, Position:11, Clicks:2, CTR:0.5%
url: https://{domain}/forum/threads/brooks-brothers-factory-outlet-stores.60532/ (Date: Oct 2006)

May 6, "brooks brothers outlet", Impressions:47, Position:16.1, Clicks:1, CTR:2.1%
url: https://{domain}/forum/threads/brooks-brothers-factory-outlet-stores.60532/ (Date: Oct 2006)
url: https://{domain}/forum/threads/brooks-brothers-outlet-stores.107837/ (Sep: 2010)

If I look at the most current days individually for that search term in GSC, there are no impressions for that same search term/phrase, and we don't show up in SERPs until page 7 (position 64) -- and it's different forum thread then the one above.
url: https://{domain}/forum/threads/brooks-brothers-outlet-experience.164745/ (Dec: 2013)

So that leads me to believe that as a result of the May 2020 Google Core update, they realized that if a user is searching for that term, the above older threads really aren't relevant to what the person is searching for.

But rather, they are looking for:

A. Information on how to locate a Brooks Brother outlet
or
B. Information as to how to buy Brooks Brother outlet clothes
or
C. Information as to where they can by discounted Brooks Brother clothes

None of which the above threads really answer.

Seems like if we want to start re-ranking for that search term, we'd need to:

1. Either write an article with info about (A,B,C)
2. Try a new "Article" thread type about (A,B,C) <- Xenforo 2.2
3. Try a new Xenforo 2.2 Search Forum about "brooks brothers"
4. Do #3, plus maybe #2

Any thoughts?

Anyway Google goes nuts.
They also turned at Pagespeed so that with the same values, they got over 90 points days ago, but now only ~ 80.

It's time to steer clear of Google and use alternatives. This may not affect Google, but it does bring us more zest for life: D

Any thoughts?
Here is what your numbers tell me.

First thing is obvious - Total impressions dropped in half, and total clicks accordingly. But here is where the funny part - the number of Average position has been dropped slightly. And it actually turned into slightly higher CTR. So we can't tell, that your pages got dropped down in SERPs. If they sit on the same positions, and are getting clicked even more often, it just can't turn into big drop, neither in impressions nor in clicks. So...

And this is just my assumptions and predictions, that might have nothing in common with reality. )
The only possibly reason I can imagine - big chunk of your pages got excluded. Would you post that chart from Coverage?

Let's compare.

0.webp

First we can see that it's a false statement, that Google hates forums and kills them.
Second - your CTR is twice lower than mine, so " Google hates forums" turns into "Google hates to show links that people rarely click".
Now why would people chose not to click your links? Your descriptions are automatically generated, as mines (or you have an add-on for desc?). But you said that you use an add-on for page titles. May be (and this is another assumption/prediction) the add-on makes your titles worse rather than better?

Would you post that chart from Coverage?
Do you mean to show Search Console for the last 3 months, like yours?
But you said that you use an add-on for page titles.
The add-on doesn't change page titles (or Thread Titles), it allows us to manually set the url/slug for a thread.

So instead of using the sluggified-url that Xenforo automatically creates, it allows us to override it to an even more "friendly" url.

For example, if the title of one of our threads is:
"Is www.polosales.com a reputable online merchant?"

Xenforo makes the URL
"/is-www-polosales-com-a-reputable-online-merchant.{thread id}/

The add-on we wrote, allows me to change the URL, like this:

1594223308497.webp

Here's the report from GSC
Let's start from the beginning. You lost half of your visitors. First thing I would want to figure out who they are (have you lost mobile users? desktop? equally both?).

Google Analytics -> Audiense -> Overview.
Set the period from May 1 to May 31 and hit Apply.

0.webp

Add a segment "Mobile traffic".​

Add Segment -> System -> Mobile traffic -> Apply

1.webp

2.webp

You should get something like this.

3.webp

well, except there will be a big drop down on yours...

If anyone is looking for work here, happy to hire someone that handles onsite SEO work/audits. We could really use some help to repair somethings with our site due to this google deranking. This would be potentially longterm work.

happy to hire someone that handles onsite SEO work/audits
I've worked with a guy by the name of John Locke, and he knows SEO really well. He's white-hat SEO all the way too.

Hired him to help clean-up and rank one of my friend's site, and was very impressed with his results.

One of his main focuses is local SEO, but he's got a great handle on all aspects of SEO, and may be worth contacting.

Here's his YT channel & website:

Top Bottom