Google loves Wordpress

JamesBrown

Broke a good news story on our site last week. The front of the site has Wordpress installed and the story was placed there. Within an hour the Wordpress story was making the top result in google for a number of related search strings. Since then the story has generated a number of threads on our forums along with many hundreds of comments. Yet today, the Wordpress article is still at the top of the search results but I have to go to page 3 or 4 to pick up links to the forum's detailed discussions on the same topic, that you'd have thought, should carry a lot more Google weight than the simple Wordpress article; but clearly they don't.

have to go to page 3 or 4 to pick up links to the forum's detailed discussions on the same topic, that you'd have thought, should carry a lot more Google weight than the simple Wordpress article; but clearly they don't.
That's not really that unusual. For whatever reasons, Google doesn't rank forum traffic very highly and places blog type stuff above it. If being in the top ranking for stuff at Google is the primary concern, then forums won't be of interest to you and a CMS like WordPress, Drupal, etc would be better.

That's not really that unusual. For whatever reasons, Google doesn't rank forum traffic very highly and places blog type stuff above it. If being in the top ranking for stuff at Google is the primary concern, then forums won't be of interest to you and a CMS like WordPress, Drupal, etc would be better.
This means we should ran both blog and forum side by side if want to get more out of our websites?

I definitely see my WP pages rank much higher but then less chance for someone to comment or discuss it when compared to a forum thread...

Certainly more useful to help bring in new visitors.

I definitely see my WP pages rank much higher but then less chance for someone to comment or discuss it when compared to a forum thread...

Certainly more useful to help bring in new visitors.
Not if you use xenword. You can comment in WP and it will appear immediately in the forum thread and all posts made on the xF thread appear as WP comments. So it can be discussed in both places at the same time and wherever the user is, in WP or xF, he's sees the full discussion. It's perfect. https://xenforo.com/community/resources/xenword-pro.2775/field?field=faq

Maybe it is just me, however, I find Xenforo threads don't rank that well in Google, even in comparison to other forum software. Wordpress of course is altogether another ball game.

I don't know...just off the top of my head I can think of a search term which has a ridiculous amount of results in google (almost 25 million) showing a post I made here at XF is in position 1 page 1.

sdvgvb.webp

Hard to think that if XF posts didn't rank well that a post made by me here would be that high in the list.

Sure XF has some good juice in the pitcher that makes for (an almost) effortless highball...but landing above 25 million other sites and being first at that tells me that XF is not doing anything that would hurt site rankings.

In regards to the post above by Yogesh (who was generalizing) I would say that while I don't personally have some actual charts and stats to throw down for you I can say that vB com also has quite a few inbound links, sells forum software and I don't see literally anything from vb in the results of my query and I went through more pages than I want to admit (enough where any normal person would have stopped clicking next page 30 minutes sooner).

At any rate the example is valid (IMO) in the context of this explanation and as a response to the post 3 slots back.

Since you have blocked the search query as well as the top search result, I can only assume by looking at other results that your search query was specific to speeding up Xenforo or some other Xenforo development related things. Seeing that even Google’s own page is ranked below, and it is for page speed, it suffices to say, that the only relevant result in this case was from Xenforo.com.

Edit 1: vB5's SEO is even worse.

Edit 2: Got your thread from Google Search, however the query I got is different, however, it is still the top result. So yes, in that case, SEO seems spot on.

No it was related to general web design, specifically for page speed and yes google ranked my post here above their own page speed insights tool...lol.

My reasons for blocking the query are my own however if knowing the query would help you believe me, you can start a convo and I will tell you the query in your inbox.

If you are indeed in India as your signature would suggest I would be interested to know what kind of results you get on it and if the result here from xf is in the same position.

*edit your ninj-edit ninja'd me

wordpress is awesome just built a few sites this week , got an email today from one of my sites ...

Your site at http://www.embreyenterprise.com has been updated automatically to WordPress 4.7.3

how amazing it that?!
whats impressive is i have a few add ons and they are not effected by the core update. very happy even built a forum on it....

Code:
http://www.ohiohuntfish.com/community/

and it was all free too...

Top Bottom