1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fixed Google - Increase in soft 404 errors

Discussion in 'Resolved Bug Reports' started by DRaver, Dec 5, 2014.

1. DRaver

DRaver Active Member

I have a lot of soft 404 errors in the google webmaster tools. XF sends the wrong status code.

So if i type in the url, Xenforo say. Page not found.

So I checked the http status code of these url´s and I see that this site give a status code 200. o_O
    But this is wrong. It´s must be a 404 or better a 410.

Please fix the bug.
  2. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

There is a bug here, but it's not that those results are returning a 200 for a "page not found" page. It's returning a "no results" because the bug is that it's triggering another search. It's doing this because you're loading a search that actually doesn't exist any more; the behavior is to return a 404 when the search exists.

I have adjusted this to be consistent now regardless of whether the search exists.
    CyclingTribe likes this.
  3. DRaver

DRaver Active Member

@Mike Is this fixed in the version 1.4.4?
  4. Mike

5. cmeinck

cmeinck Well-Known Member

Are you blocking /search in robots.txt?
  6. DRaver

DRaver Active Member

I think that Problem is not fixed.

XF 1.4.5

Soft 404 in the Google Webmaster Tools.

7. Mike

Those are not going to be 404 pages -- likely no result pages instead -- so calling them "soft 404" would be a false positive.

Note that what I what I fixed previously is not exactly what you reported. There was another bug that triggered a re-search unexpectedly and that is what I fixed.
  8. DRaver

DRaver Active Member

In other word's: No possible fix?
  9. cmeinck

cmeinck Well-Known Member

10. DRaver

DRaver Active Member

Why? The search sites are on noindex, follow. So, no problem with thin content.