Google Fonts & 'Bold' 700 Weight Issue

TheBigK

I'm thinking of using Google Font 'Muli' on our site and Google Font only lists Light 300, Normal 400, Light 300 Italic and Normal 400 Italic.

When I set it up anyway as my primary font, the post editor allows me to 'bold' the font but when I post it, the font loses the bold property.

BOLD.webp

Is there any work-around for this?

Is the text editor actually using that font or is that a different one in the text area? The letters don't appear to be quite the same shape as the letters in the finished post.

Is the text editor actually using that font or is that a different one in the text area? The letters don't appear to be quite the same shape as the letters in the finished post.
It's the same font. I don't use any other fonts than the standard; but have been trying by playing around with 'Muli' set as the main font for the site. In any case - the post does not respect the editor styling for the font. I don't have that issue with other fonts included with the editor.

Screen Shot 2015-03-28 at 12.47.47 am.webp

The second line is 'Tahoma' and the third one is 'Verdana'. The first one is now the new default 'Muli'. In each of the lines, I bolded the same set of words; but it appears that 'Muli' lost it.

It must be replacing the font in the editor with a bold version of a similar font. The bold version of a font is specifically created, it isn't just magically emboldened by a text editor. If there wasn't any italicised version of that font then it wouldn't show in italics in the final post either.

The bold in the text editor doesn't look like the same font. I believe your text editor is showing a default or fallback font. I believe my forum does that as well when using Google Fonts.

Strange... it's a little subtle but these parts should definitely be showing as bold:
View attachment 102352
That's just the font in a larger size, not in bold.

As I said in my previous post

The bold version of a font is specifically created, it isn't just magically emboldened by a text editor.

The bold being seen in the text editor is not muli bold as that doesn't exist. You are seeing a similar replacement font. Look carefully at the shape of the letters, they aren't the same.

That's just the font in a larger size, not in bold.
In my third red box example I did not change the font size.

The problem @TheBigK is having is Muli is not rendering bold correctly.

Using his Line 1 example:
screen-shot-2015-03-28-at-12-47-47-am-png.102321

I've increased the font size in my example to match his:
muli-bold-v2.webp

Muli is definitely capable of bolding, just not rendering on his browser for some reason..

Made an interesting observation. The bolding issue is specific to Google Chrome. Both Safari and Firefox show the font in bold. Nothing much to lose if we decide on using it.

I've already requested the font creator to add more weights to Google Repository.

@TheBigK did you found a solution?

I also use a audentio-Template and have the "bold"-editor-issue with font's - for example: "Roboto".
I guess Roboto has all the required styles so you're covered. You just need to specify Roboto:300,400,500,700 (the ones that you use) in your settings (typography).

Top Bottom