XF 2.2 Google displays Icon URL (192x192) rather than Favicon URL (32x32)

That was an entirely different situation where it was just a condition in our code that sometimes preferred the larger image (which we still use as a fallback) even though the specific favicon image existed. This was an issue specifically in our metadata fetcher that we use to fetch metadata from other websites.

We have no control whatsoever over which iconography Google decides to display in their search results for your website.

That was an entirely different situation where it was just a condition in our code that sometimes preferred the larger image (which we still use as a fallback) even though the specific favicon image existed. This was an issue specifically in our metadata fetcher that we use to fetch metadata from other websites.

We have no control whatsoever over which iconography Google decides to display in their search results for your website.
That’s odd because this must have happened today or yesterday. I always check my position on google, daily. I also haven’t changed anything so don’t know why they’ve decided to change the iconography now.

Interesting to note that, technically, you're not using a valid favicon in terms of how we reference it in the code. It may be that they're picking up on that.

HTML:
<link rel="icon" type="image/png" href="https://www.joyfreak.com/styles/joyfreak/favicon.ico" sizes="32x32" />

We set the type as image/png but you're using a .ico file.

Note we have just today actually changed the explanation of the style property to explicitly mention we expect a PNG:

Path to the small logo that is associated with bookmarks pointing to your site. This is expected to be a 32x32 PNG image.

This may be relevant.

I'd convert the favicon to a PNG and update the style property.

If that doesn't change anything, I can only assume they're preferring larger images now as they may look better on high DPI screens.

Interesting to note that, technically, you're not using a valid favicon in terms of how we reference it in the code. It may be that they're picking up on that.

HTML:
<link rel="icon" type="image/png" href="https://www.joyfreak.com/styles/joyfreak/favicon.ico" sizes="32x32" />

We set the type as image/png but you're using a .ico file.

Note we have just today actually changed the explanation of the style property to explicitly mention we expect a PNG:

This may be relevant.

I'd convert the favicon to a PNG and update the style property.

If that doesn't change anything, I can only assume they're preferring larger images now as they may look better on high DPI screens.
Ok thanks, I'll give that a shot!

Yes I'd like to know more about this
On the ACP Style Properties there are three boxes to be filled in
Icon URL (192x192)
Icon URL (512x512)
Favicon URL (32x32)

Where are those images used?

here is a screen dump

I have put 32x32 favicon into the third field and that comes up on the tabs of each page in my desktop
But what are the other two fields for?
The documentation is not very helpful

Attachments

• Icon urls.webp
    Icon urls.webp
    31.3 KB · Views: 16
Top Bottom