GoDaddy DNS attacked, millions site down

I see the outage was caused by ..
"a series of events"
Interesting ...

godaddy.series.of.events.webp

I've translated the Go Daddy press release.
I added the red part.

... okay, so I take back what I said before - it was entirely their fault.

I use and recommend name.com - I moved my 600+ domains across from GoDaddy last year and have been very happy with the service.

FWIW though, I don't use name.com DNS, I use linode.com

I use Wiredtree for my Hosting solutions. Absolutely amazing! Anything you need help with they will be there for you. When I first started I knew nothing about having my own server and they helped me with every single dumbas$ question I had. Great service and price is outstanding.

Anonymous seem to have turned from doing naughty for righteous reasons, to suddenly doing naughty for bad / individualistic reasons. When was it illegal to run a company and sell domains and such, that warranted you be cyber attacked for it? Godaddy don't make policy or laws surrounding the www. Why not then attack every domain registrar equally?

Anonymous are stepping over a line IMHO that will get their backsides landed in jail a lot faster.

Just got this email from GoDaddy:

Dear xxxxx xxxxxx,

We owe you a big apology for the intermittent service outages we experienced on September 10 that may have impacted your website, your email and other Go Daddy services.

We let you down and we know it. We take our responsibilities — and the trust you place in us — very seriously. I cannot express how sorry I am to those of you who were inconvenienced.

The service outage was due to a series of internal network events that corrupted router data tables. Once the issues were identified, we took corrective actions to restore services for our customers and GoDaddy.com. We have implemented a series of immediate measures to fix the problem.

At no time was any sensitive customer information, including credit card data, passwords or names and addresses, compromised.

Throughout our history, we have provided 99.999% uptime in our DNS infrastructure. This is the level of performance we expect from ourselves. Monday, we fell short of these expectations. We have learned from this event and will use it to drive improvement in our services.

As a result of this disruption, your account will be credited for the value of 1-month of service for each of your active/published sites.* This credit will be available to you for the next 7 days. Please click the button below to redeem your credit.

I thought this was a nice gesture. They work fine for me as hosts, but I have pretty simple hosting needs. They seem pretty good on the customer service side, too. For example, about three weeks ago, they called, noticed that I had not set up a hosting plan I had purchased last year, and offered to apply what I paid to one of my other hosting plans. I don't have strong feelings about them, but I think they meet my needs and am pretty satisfied with them. We will see if this holds true if I need dedicated server down the road.

Top Bottom