1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gobsmacked at how unusable ReCaptcha is

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by Stuart Wright, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright Well-Known Member

Tested our sign up routine today and was horrified at how difficult it was to correctly answer ReCaptcha. Impossible to read one of the two words most of the time.
    I think I would rather trust in 1.4's anti spam registration tricks and switch off captcha altogether than use the nightmare that is ReCaptcha.
    In the end I installed the slide captcha addon which makes registering easy as it should be.
    Anthony Parsons and Alfa1 like this.
  2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I have never used ReCaptcha after seeing how bad it was on numerous other sites.

I just use Q&A, although admittedly my site is much less of a target for spammers than others.
    Perhaps they find F1 boring :D
  3. Stuart Wright

They get paid per link they plant, I think, so they care less about what the content of the site is than how popular it is. Might not even care about that if it's being indexed in Google.
  4. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

5. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

Have you looked at the new Captcha options that were introduced in 1.4?

Solve Media is used here:

6. Stuart Wright

I quite like keycaptcha as well, but slide captcha beats them all for ease of use IMO.
  7. Alfa1

Alfa1 Well-Known Member

I never use any form of captha on my sites.
  8. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

I only ever get 3-4 numbers now with ReCaptcha so I never have problems solving it.
  9. petertdavis

petertdavis Well-Known Member

I don't think any of the captchas make a bit of difference against the spammers.
  10. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Well-Known Member

Use Custom QA specific to your forum.
    tajhay likes this.
  11. tajhay

tajhay Well-Known Member

Custom Q&A beats all the captchas with ease.
  12. Anthony Parsons

Anthony Parsons Well-Known Member

Keycapthca has been my choice for years... and upgraded to puzzle makes it nice and simple for humans to solve.