Global Topics / Announcements

I appreciate that.

A global topic still needs to be clicked on to be able to read and respond though.
You can do that with a notice - just link to the actual thread.

In the absence of a global topic feature, it's better than nothing.
Oh dear, hope I haven't offended you mate :censored:

I agree it is better than nothing, and I can sort of accomplish the same thing. However, I still have to go in and make the notice, and then separately make a thread. This way, you basically kill 2 birds with one stone without having to worry about everyone bugging you because the notice is there forever.

Not at all, just trying to offer a suggestion.

I know exactly what you mean, I used to use phpBB myself ;)
Well, thanks! Yes, I have done that as of now, just proposing this for the long run. Seems simple enough, I just can't figure it because I know next to nothing about the coding of xf >_<

I miss this modification very much. It was my favorite modification on vBulletin. I've talked to the developer of it and he said he will try making it for xenforo after he gets used to figuring out xenforo. It's taking him awhile because he was ill so lets pray he gets better. lol
Indeed we shall :D

I'm not sure about fully global as my categories are quite diverse. Also I think seeing the same thing everywhere devalues it.

But somewhere I saw a system where you could duplicate a thread. It appeared identically in your selection of forums.
Then you had 2 options.
The discussions merged so they were the same wherever this thread displayed.
The discussions did not merge so the same topic could be dealt with in different ways.

I don't remember where I saw this but it was a lovely feature.

I'm not sure about fully global as my categories are quite diverse. Also I think seeing the same thing everywhere devalues it.

But somewhere I saw a system where you could duplicate a thread. It appeared identically in your selection of forums.
Then you had 2 options.
The discussions merged so they were the same wherever this thread displayed.
The discussions did not merge so the same topic could be dealt with in different ways.

I don't remember where I saw this but it was a lovely feature.
Honestly, that feature sounds like a huge mess (n)
Well, that's why you don't OVER-use the global topic system. Use it for important updates and things like rules that everyone needs to see everywhere they are. Much simpler than re-posting in however many categories you have (y)

Honestly, that feature sounds like a huge mess (n)
Well, that's why you don't OVER-use the global topic system. Use it for important updates and things like rules that everyone needs to see everywhere they are. Much simpler than re-posting in however many categories you have (y)

Sylar I don't think you can say that when you haven't worked with it. I did on another forum years ago.
It was marvellous.
Instead of having a notice everywhere that users quickly a) get used to and bored with an ignore (monkey psych)
or b) get irritable with because it's thrust at them everywhere
you can target those groups who need it or fancy it.

Then you can edit it to update it in one place but it changes in all those groups. Same as global on that point.

But you can also merge the discussions - bringing together otherwise different groups around a common theme. That can pull people together and might stimulate a new forum or new networking across divisions.
For example pull together users and coders and sponsors to combine their points of view on a new project.

Or you can exploit the different strengths of these groups to work with it in their own ways. Run different teams on the same starter idea.
Or the diversity can just be interesting and fun - a political sector is going to react differently to an arts sector and again different to a therapy or software sector. So you get several very different discussions boosted all off posting one thread.

Sylar I don't think you can say that when you haven't worked with it. I did on another forum years ago.
It was marvellous.
Instead of having a notice everywhere that users quickly a) get used to and bored with an ignore (monkey psych)
or b) get irritable with because it's thrust at them everywhere
you can target those groups who need it or fancy it.
I think you are misunderstanding the origin of my suggestion. If you navigate to this image: http://imagehost.promotion-box.com/images/dfhj.png you can follow along. What I am suggesting is something similar to the topics marked "Global Announcement:" on the screenshot. They are posted from 1 forum, and are displayed at the top of all topics in all forums until specified otherwise. As for what you are saying by "targeting those groups who need/fancy it", that's handled by the separate announcement(sticky in XF) in the forum, specific only to that forum. Also, just want you to take note that I am in no way looking for a notice to be displayed, it's just an incorporation into the forum list as shown in the image ;)

Then you can edit it to update it in one place but it changes in all those groups. Same as global on that point.

But you can also merge the discussions - bringing together otherwise different groups around a common theme. That can pull people together and might stimulate a new forum or new networking across divisions.
For example pull together users and coders and sponsors to combine their points of view on a new project.

Or you can exploit the different strengths of these groups to work with it in their own ways. Run different teams on the same starter idea.
Or the diversity can just be interesting and fun - a political sector is going to react differently to an arts sector and again different to a therapy or software sector. So you get several very different discussions boosted all off posting one thread.
From what I can understand, you are basically saying you would rather have who knows how many different topics just so that other groups could pop in and throw their .02 in in solitude? I honestly don't understand why you couldn't just have the one topic and have all the groups jump in, it's much easier and cleaner.

Otherwise, you'd have to specifically link me to the add-on page so that I could get a better understanding, as this is just me replying to what you have said ;)

I'm also need this. Global Topics is a different thing than the notices. Global Topic is for a important announcement, when you can create a long topics with images, videos etc. The notices feature imho it's not fit well for this.

Global notice that links to a topic in your Announcement section. You would have more control over who it is shown to, etc.

Not to dump on the idea, just pointing out a suggestion in the meantime.

Top Bottom