XF 1.1 Global RSS Feed....

Gene Steinberg

You say in your 1.1b3 release announcement:

Global RSS Feed

There is now a global RSS feed covering all forums. It is accessible via the <link rel="alternate" ... /> tag in the <head> of the forum list page.

OK, so I don't see any options to add this under Options, or do a I see any such command in the forum_list template.

So would you explain how to make this work in English please? :)

If you view page source you'll find a line like this:
Code:
<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS feed for Shadowed Soul" href="forums/-/index.rss" />

RSS Readers should pick up that there is a feed there from that link rel.

Or you can just click on the href to get it.

OK, I cannot find a file called index.rss at the root level of the forum directory, nor in any other directory.

Also, shouldn't this be something that would just display on your forum list page?

I'm still seeing nothing.

It doesn't exist as a file, in the same way individual forums don't exist as files.

It doesn't display as a link anywhere, you have to navigate directly to the URL, or edit a template and create a link to it.

OK, so this link is in the source; I see it now. But shouldn't it display an RSS icon so members can click on it directly? Or must I add ragtek's add-on, which eliminates the need for your solution???

OK, so this link is in the source; I see it now. But shouldn't it display an RSS icon so members can click on it directly? Or must I add ragtek's add-on, which eliminates the need for your solution???
I'll create tonight an extra add-on which links the xf feed in the footer if you want.

Edit: Next xf beta will include this, so i'll not create an add-on for this

We added the global RSS feed just yesterday and haven't had a chance to add an icon to the UI yet. I'll look to do it for Beta 4.
That saves some trouble. While you're at it:

1. Allow admins to specify how many characters of text to display. The title isn't enough.

2. Include embedded BB code or HTML from the message. Make it fancy. :)

Is it possible to exlude forums from the global rss feed? I would prefer to select which forums I would like to show in the global rss feed.
the global feed fetches the same data as the "what's new page"

So all forums marked to be included in what's new, will be included!

Top Bottom