XF 1.1 Global RSS Feed....

Gene Steinberg

You say in your 1.1b3 release announcement:

Global RSS Feed

There is now a global RSS feed covering all forums. It is accessible via the <link rel="alternate" ... /> tag in the <head> of the forum list page.

OK, so I don't see any options to add this under Options, or do a I see any such command in the forum_list template.

So would you explain how to make this work in English please? :)

BTW, if anyone wants to add an RSS icon to their footer, it's very simple.

Add this to EXTRA.css:
Code:
/* Add RSS feed icon to footer */
.cta_footerRSSFeedicon {
background: transparent url('@imagePath/xenforo/xenforo-ui-sprite.png') no-repeat -112px -16px;
margin: 5px 5px 0 0;
padding: 0 !important;
display: block;
white-space: nowrap;
text-indent: 9999px;
overflow: hidden;
opacity: 0.5;
width: 14px;
height: 14px;
}

.cta_footerRSSFeedicon:hover {
    opacity: 1;
    }
You may need to adapt the code slightly to fit your style.

Then add this to the footer template:
Code:
<li><a href="{xen:link forums/-/index.rss}" class="cta_footerRSSFeedicon" title="{xen:phrase rss}">{xen:phrase rss}</a></li>

Just below this line:
Code:
<xen:hook name="footer_links">

Before you say it ragtek, yes I know it's a template edit and I'm not using an add-on and the hook :D *scnr*

We added the global RSS feed just yesterday and haven't had a chance to add an icon to the UI yet. I'll look to do it for Beta 4.
Fantastic.

Now, I wonder what's with the URL structure? Is that a standard structure?

The reason why I ask is that I noticed that the global RSS feed has a dash in between two areas..?

A lot of the RSS feeds out on the market don't have this; it shows root here/rssfeed structure here, but it seems that xenforo's Global RSS shows this: site name here/level 2 root here/-/index

As per this example:
http://xenforo.com/community/forums/-/index.rss

I want to know because I want to put this feed into google/yahoo. I'm afraid that both won't recognize it...

Testing that ASAP.

I've added the Global RSS feed to Google, Yahoo, and Bing. So far it looks like I didn't bump into any problems.

Google calculated the number of articles, and so, I was thinking "that went well, better than I had expected."

BTW, if anyone wants to add an RSS icon to their footer, it's very simple.

Add this to EXTRA.css:
Code:
/* Add RSS feed icon to footer */
.cta_footerRSSFeedicon {
background: transparent url('@imagePath/xenforo/xenforo-ui-sprite.png') no-repeat -112px -16px;
margin: 5px 5px 0 0;
padding: 0 !important;
display: block;
white-space: nowrap;
text-indent: 9999px;
overflow: hidden;
opacity: 0.5;
width: 14px;
height: 14px;
}

.cta_footerRSSFeedicon:hover {
    opacity: 1;
    }
You may need to adapt the code slightly to fit your style.

Then add this to the footer template:
Code:
<li><a href="{xen:link forums/-/index.rss}" class="cta_footerRSSFeedicon" title="{xen:phrase rss}">{xen:phrase rss}</a></li>

Just below this line:
Code:
<xen:hook name="footer_links">

Before you say it ragtek, yes I know it's a template edit and I'm not using an add-on and the hook :D *scnr*
I used my feedburner with this. Works great!

Top Bottom