Add-on Give "gold" to a post

Frode789

Is there a similar addon where you can give "gold" to a post? I'm sure many know this function from Reddit, where users can give "gold/silver" etc to a good post, to promote good content. It will then show on the forum list, their user profile etc. It's a pretty cool function.

@NixFifty add-on has this ability

Hmm yeah not what I was looking for. It's similar though, in a sense that you can gift upgrades. But it's missing the "gild" part where others users are able to see posts that have earned gold. That's what is creating a buzz in the subreddit/BGG forum where you see it. Seeing a post with 3 gold and 2 silver, you go "damn impressive, what is this all about??".

Darn. Strange none has thought of this. Would be a good fit for your catalogue no? @ThemeHouse 😉

Last edited:
I would think that giving a reaction does the same thing.

It's not though. Reactions are free and are just limited to being that, reactions.

Reddit gold (or BGG Gold, or one of the many other websites who uses the same mechanic) is a virtual good/virtual currency, that you can give to posts/resources etc, to show appreciation for that, and it will show to everyone in the community. (for example in a widget "most recent gilded posts").
If you want to give gold on a post, you can only gain it from two places; either buy with real money, or if someone has previously "gilded (given YOU gold)" for one of your posts.
So it's good for both your website (you get money when people spend gold on each other), and it's a lot of fun for the users who receive them.
And they can mean several things, depending on your forum. They can be used to gift "gold" to other users, and they can be used for User Upgrades to premium, Custom perks such as VIP forum (exclusive) and so on.

Last edited:
There's this from @DragonByte Tech:

but it lacks the donate to thread/post poster (giving visibility to the thread/post too.

There's this from @DragonByte Tech:

but it lacks the donate to thread/post poster (giving visibility to the thread/post too.

Yeah I know 😢 Maybe @DragonByte Tech would consider adding something like this 😁

But it's missing the "gild" part where others users are able to see posts that have earned gold.
Not sure what you mean. It shows on posts how many times it was gifted, who gifted it and there's CSS classes available to style it accordingly.

Right, I missed that. You are right.

But it isn't a versitile currency? So I would not be able to do as explained above. (using gold to buy things in a forum "shop, give to other users etc)

Right, I missed that. You are right.

But it isn't a versitile currency? So I would not be able to do as explained in post 5
Ah, yeah I get what you mean now. No, it’s not a currency and more you’re gifting actual user upgrades rather than a currency to purchase the upgrades with.

What you mean is a feature that has been requested many times in various forms: Cryptocurrency tipping.

Similar functionality:

Is there a similar addon where you can give "gold" to a post? I'm sure many know this function from Reddit, where users can give "gold/silver" etc to a good post, to promote good content. It will then show on the forum list, their user profile etc. It's a pretty cool function.

I know this post is old, and Im digging through the graveyard, but I found this post via google. Because the OP is still active, and if anyone else gets to this thread, OzzMods released something that sounds like what your looking for:

Top Bottom