Getting the best out of the server for XenForo

GazCBG

Hi,

I have a Full managed cPanel VPS (6GB Ram and 100GB SSD space), running my XenForo site.

Server:
Apache 2.4 with mod_socache_memcache
MariaDB 10.1 (have setup slow-log-queries)
PHP 7.1 and 5.6 with opcache on all versions (My XenForo is using 7.1.x)

Installed Add-ons:
Advanced Application Forms 1.2.16
Custom Tabs 1.6.3
Nodes As Tabs 1.5.1
Register Email 3.6
s9e Media Pack 20170302
[8WR] XenRio (Live Streams) PRO 1.2.4
[bd] Cache 1.2.0
[bd] Mails 1.0.1
[bd] Widget Framework 2.6.3
[Nobita] Promote & Demote Users 2.0.8
[PE] Roster 1.1.1

Other:
KeyCDN
Registered feeds (RSS)

I would like to get the best out of my new forum, before I start to adverise it (still in mantinace mode).
The site runs fine, but am looking for long term.

I am thinking about changed Apache for Nginx and install Memcached would this be recommended?
What else would you recommend changing/doing?

I am thinking about changed Apache for Nginx and install Memcached would this be recommended?
What else would you recommend changing/doing?

That's one of the best things you can do. While I am no expert I do know that Nginx performs better than Apache and having a caching mechanism such as Memcached is also a very good thing. I personally use Redis for caching but have used Memcached. Can't go wrong with either. One thing to keep in mind though is cPanel/WHM is going to use quite a bit of your RAM and HD space. If you can live without the pretty web based control panel and feel comfortable doing things through SSH I would highly recommend using Centmin Mod by @eva2000 which will leave your RAM and other resources for the important things like Nginx, Memcached, etc and not be tied up in the control panel.

I would highly recommend using Centmin Mod by @eva2000 which will leave your RAM and other resources for the important things like Nginx, Memcached, etc and not be tied up in the control panel.
I definately, without doubt, absolutely second that. Best move I ever made. Once there consider the other caching options as memcached is a little old.

Thanks for the replies.
I like cPanel/WHM for easy of use, so I was thinking in about a month or so, getting a full managed dedi server, with 16GB and more SSD space, with, with my current provider.

If you are insistent on continuing to use cPanel, then invest also into LiteSpeed for your HTTP server. You will only be able to use nginx as a proxy under a cPanel setup from the last time I checked on it.
Most "managed" providers require you to maintain a cPanel setup because it's easier on them to do. For pure performance with some automation you can't beat @eva2000's CentMin Mod. The ONLY thing I'm not crazy about it is that it's based upon CentOS - which still does not have a reliable upgrade path between major revisions.

I like cPanel/WHM for easy of use, so I was thinking in about a month or so, getting a full managed dedi server, with 16GB and more SSD space, with, with my current provider.
Like above... get rid of cpanel. Its bloated. Once your server is setup and site running, your server shouldn't need to be touched... so all this extra cost for cpanel is just wasted $$$.

Seriously, VPS SSD is super cheap nowadays: https://www.linode.com/pricing or https://www.digitalocean.com/pricing/

Put your money in your pocket / into your actual server requirements.

If you want help setting up NGINX server for an XF install, send me a PC and I will help you set it up. Takes a few hours to install and get running right, a little monitoring for a few days, tweak if needed, secure it, lock it up and let it do its job.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.
I am coming around to the idea, of no control panel like cPanel, Plesk etc...
I seen a server from i3d in The Netherlands for about £30 (€35) which is the following spec:

Type: HP ProLiant DL120G6
CPU: Xeon X3430
Speed: 4x2.4 Ghz
RAM: 4x2GB DDR3 ECC
HDD: 2x250 GB
Traffic: 5 TB

I have setup servers before via SSH, so have an idea on how to set it up, the optimizing not something I have done before to be honest.
So I am thinking about getting it with CentOS 7 and install Centmin.

Will 8GB Ram be ok or do I need more, if so what do you recommended?

phpmyadmin comes with advice page, perhaps worth looking into and see if you could tweak it for your site a bit.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-05 at 15.54.56.webp
    Screen Shot 2017-04-05 at 15.54.56.webp
    46.4 KB · Views: 19
Will 8GB Ram be ok or do I need more, if so what do you recommended?
How big is your database?
How much traffic do you have online any given minute? (Google live analytics -- not cookie timeout online)

1Gb of RAM with 1 core is suitable for any new installation (small site), and will run a database around 300Mb, give or take, with about 20 online per minute. Rough approximation.

How many cores and RAM though additionally comes down to how much crap you may also be running within said software (add-ons / plugins) and whether they're good or badly coded.

So I am thinking about getting it with CentOS 7 and install Centmin.

Centmin Mod is my baby and I developed it. Nice read at Centmin Mod LEMP stack vs other LEMP stack differences

Got questions or want to learn more about Centmin Mod ? Join the official community forums https://community.centminmod.com/ :)

Centmin Mod Nginx uses latest 1.11 branch versions and constantly updated https://centminmod.com/nginx.html and allows end users to update nginx and php-fpm versions without my intervention via centmin.sh menu options 4 and 5 respectively. So you update as soon as you see new Nginx or PHP versions announced by developers. No need to wait for me to update Centmin Mod itself :)

New Nginx, PHP and MariaDB version update announcements are also posted in software subforums you can watch/subscribe to as well https://community.centminmod.com/categories/software-news.17/

Don't need to jump in deep end head first with live migrations, just setup a test VPS and test site/forum to get a feel. You can easily get a 2GB 50-75GB OpenVZ VPS for $25-35/yr for testing

i.e.

Top Bottom