Getting Scared now

JamesBrown

I've set a date in June for moving a million post/20,000 member forum from VB to xF

Loads of planning to do, we have zillions of photos in photopost to move, VBSEO installed, a garage, subscribers, blogs, a massive downloads directory to port to the Resources. I'm sure it will be worth it, but I'm dreading it:cautious:

Well why not rather get someone that has done it plenty of times for others to do it for you, this is what I did and it was well worth the $ I paid.

I've set a date in June for moving a million post/20,000 member forum from VB to xF

Loads of planning to do, we have zillions of photos in photopost to move, VBSEO installed, a garage, subscribers, blogs, a massive downloads directory to port to the Resources. I'm sure it will be worth it, but I'm dreading it:cautious:
I always suggest people who feel uneasy of importing do a test run first on a test install. Especially if they had a lot of customization on vBulletin. But beyond that, 1 million post and 20,000 members is a fairly easy and routine import. I find many of the vBulletin forums I have imported range between 250,000 - 1.5 million post, so your setup is fairly typical (including vbulletin gallery, vbulletin blogs, and vbseo).

If you're still worried about it and want someone else to do the job, @RoldanLT does a good job and I've forwarded a few people his way

I've been working since August to get my Big Board ready for the migration. It takes me this long due to the complex install I have, with many addons. I have been importing again and again. Importing the data that is stock in XF that works fine, but its the missing functionality / XF addosn where imports become problematic. You have to decide what data you want to loose and for what you need to build new importers and functionality.
Use the paid importer instead of the stock importer, because the latter takes a week per import, while the former is ready really fast.

Your vb install sounds to be similarly complex as mine. How do you plan to import vb blogs? If you plan on importing into Better Blogs then I doubt this is possible at the moment.Bug reports here: http://xfaddons.com/forums/bug-reports.17/
What are you using as a downloads addon on vb? I am using Andrew D's Links & Downloads Manager, but the RM certainly doesn't work as a replacement for this. Have you tried an import of your downloads into RM?

I have just completed imports of Photopost Pro and vbulletin albums into Xen Media Gallery and the result is really awesome. I plan to have an addon created so that XMG can host downloads as well.
Do you have a video gallery?

Testing, testing, testing. Don't be afraid to hire someone to do it. The cost is well worth sparing yourself from headache or spending lots of time on things. If it makes you feel better, you should listen to this song to help you through it. Do KAM do custom order conversions? I'm sure it'll be expensive, but well worth the cost. About 10 years ago I hired Jelsoft to do a convert from custom/obsolete software to vBulletin. It was expensive and took a couple days, but it was well worth the price. At the time I didn't know anyone who could handle the job and I was rather green in that department.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I assume you will have a development environment to test things out? That helps a lot. Make a document/checklist of the steps needed to do the conversion and just test and test. Then it will be a really smooth transition on the day itself, as you had the time to solve problems in the test fase.

I have the same one. What are your plans for it when migrating to XenForo?
I plan on dropping it but will import the content as user albums into Xen Media Gallery.

I may drop it entirely, its not essential to the forum, but over 1000 users have uploaded vehicles to it, so it would be nice to keep it; placing them into a user albums might be an idea:)

I love what this guy has done the forum looks fantastic, I especially like the way he has incorporated a wiki and a wordpress install that appears to share logins with xF. I also like the way they have a large sidebar visible throughout. Can someone cleverer than me let me know what addons this site uses? Thanks http://www.arrse.co.uk/

I love what this guy has done the forum looks fantastic, I especially like the way he has incorporated a wiki and a wordpress install that appears to share logins with xF. I also like the way they have a large sidebar visible throughout. Can someone cleverer than me let me know what addons this site uses? Thanks http://www.arrse.co.uk/

You can search the add-on section. It's under http://xenforo.com/community/resources/
xfrocks has a decent wordpress bridge. The sidebar is styling, so easy to do. Pro-tip: Why not ask himself by sending him a message?

No, its quite clearly you pronounce it like "arrse". Obvious :P

The british army are all gentlemen, surely they won't use such foul language as such you would imply. Only the thought of it makes me sad :(

Top Bottom