Getting Ready for Xenforo 1.2 Yet?

DRE

What changes have you made to your forum so far to get ready for the major changes in Xenforo 1.2?

List of Changes: http://xenforo.com/community/forums/have-you-seen/?prefix_id=30

I've listed some of my changes here. A major change lately I've made is removed Russ Mobile style and have begun preparing for the Xenforo Responsive Design by making changes in Arty's Responsive Design so that I'll know what to do when I stop using his and start using Xenforo's version of Responsive.

I am still wondering if there is any extra 'big announcements' with 1.2 that we havnt heard just yet :D

But I am loving it so far!

content-4-32596-6a9w.jpg

What changes have you made to your forum so far to get ready for the major changes in Xenforo 1.2?
With Cool Sci-Fi I was purposely keeping the style template edits to a minimum to make future updates easier. Except for a few add-ons that are using hook locations along with some entries to extra.css that site is ready to go for any XF updates.

I recently aquired A Walker Bit Me which is targeted at Walking Dead fans. That site was using a good number of add-ons and I've been working on eliminating as many as possible. For example, it was using XenPorta but only for the slider block, adding a block for TaigaChat, a block for XenMedio, and to give a different appearance to a 'news' forums. It was also using the Widget Framework but only for adding an HTML widget and a random quotes widget. I replaced XenMedio with XenMediaGallery which includes its own method for displaying recent media on the forum home. I replaced the slider with using XF notifications (an uglier way of doing it but it eliminated the need for relying on an add-on). I replaced the block for TaigaChat (only viewable when logged in) with an entry to one of the ad templates (ad_above_content if I recall at the moment). Finally I was able to live without having a different display for the 'news' forum. With those changes XenPorta & XenMedio were eliminated. I replaced the widget for displaying the character images in the sidebar with HTML in one of the ad templates for the sidebar and the quotes add-on had its own way of displaying random quotes also so Widget Framework was able to be eliminated. XenPorta & the Widget Framework serve a purpose but were overkill for how they were being used. The couple of template edits were to just ad templates and not to the core XF templates that display data; even those slight changes will then be replaced with TMC when it is available. The style was a purchased style along with Arty's responsive add-on. It was replaced with a style by Russ that has no template edits; everything is in the style properties and in extra.css. Yes, we lost the responsive ability but it'll be a lot easier now to use the responsive option in XF when it is available. So far about a dozen add-on have been eliminated with only two user impacting changes. There are still some other add-ons in place & being used but as much as possible they also will be looked at to either be replaced or eliminated.

It is a bit of work reducing the existing add-ons while trying not to lose their functionality but I think the efforts will pay off when 1.2 is released as I'll be able to update with minimal hassle.

Reactions: DRE

Nothing.

However after it gets released I'll be redoing the style from scratch, which I'm not really excited about. All the new features will help ease the pain though. lol

Chances are that 1.2.1 will be out before I take it live.

I probably won't be doing anything for some time. I have a very small anime forum I run which will be a good test before I do my bigger gaming forum. It will give me a chance to get familiar with the changes and prep accordingly. I will more than likely wait for any major addons I use to be updated before I do my update.

For me, none. I want to give my users the freedom of choice between Tapatalk, and this Responsive Design of XF...

As for Jaxel's xenUtilies, I'll keep it to cover all the bases. The core Spam prevention features seems to be missing some features that xenUtilies has.

There's nothing bigger than Editor Improvements. :D

I can tell you this is a big improvement and agree (kind of) with you. Those that have fully styled the editor (replaced all imagery) will really appreciate the new manager when it comes to styling it because tinymce is such a PIA to style for.

Am I getting ready for 1.2? I'll look at 1.2 like i see any other update, I'll have my site updated straight away on release and work on any updates that may need done. I am going to work on a new style though for my site when i've had 1.2 installed on my site for a day or so but not really preparing for anything prior to release.

Reactions: DRE
We're going to be a little bold and daring, as we usually are... And have every plan to update our live site to XenForo 1.2 beta upon its release.

We've done this in the past with other forum software.... Slapped it on & ruffed through it to give it a real world experience and provide feedback from our members to the development.

As result, we're un-installing add-ons that we believe will not be compatible... ie... editor add-ons for example.

We're going to be a little bold and daring, as we usually are... And have every plan to update our live site to XenForo 1.2 beta upon its release.

We've done this in the past with other forum software.... Slapped it on & ruffed through it to give it a real world experience and provide feedback from our members to the development.

As result, we're un-installing add-ons that we believe will not be compatible... ie... editor add-ons for example.

:cry: ooooh the DC Smiley Manager. I really hope the add-on maker converts it over to redactor. But overall the new editor will be worth it.

Getting Ready for Xenforo 1.2 Yet?

Yes. I'm shakin and shivering. I'll just wait and enjoy it on here for a while.
I should switch my avatar to a mouse ......................................... squeak.

:cry: ooooh the DC Smiley Manager. I really hope the add-on maker converts it over to redactor. But overall the new editor will be worth it.
Was one of the first things we un-installed

From what I gather 1.2 will have something similar in layout, except it maybe missing the grouping (categorizing) you so desire. Groups was never an issue for us. So long as people can move left to right or up and down in selecting smilies, we're happy.

Was one of the first things we un-installed

From what I gather 1.2 will have something similar in layout, except it maybe missing the grouping (categorizing) you so desire. Groups was never an issue for us. So long as people can move left to right or up and down in selecting smilies, we're happy.

Have you seen anything yet about being able to '"move left to right or up and down" with the 1.2 feature? From reading the description I got the impression that it was more like The Happy Place add-on rather than the DC Smiley Manager.

Have you seen anything yet about being able to '"move left to right or up and down" with the 1.2 feature? From reading the description I got the impression that it was more like The Happy Place add-on rather than the DC Smiley Manager.
That's what I'm going on....

Happy Place (when it was working) either allowed you to scroll left to right. Of course that feature was also changed & removed sometime later.

On the off chance that I'm thinking of another add-on other than Happy Place (but before DC Smiley Manager), there was at least some kind of boarder below the editor. Which is good enough.

Would be nice to have a beta to download in order to get familiar with it before it goes "gold".

Would be nice to have a beta to download in order to get familiar with it before it goes "gold".

Instead of a BETA, a RC would be better. That way, it would get a little wider exposure with the feature-set there and a quicker exposure of possible conflicts with add-ons that aren't used on the official BETA sites.

From what I read I am quite sure it is, positive infact. Nothing like the DC Smiley Manager functionality and agree more like the happy place manager where it's below the editor.

Top Bottom