Get rid of vBulletin V4 ...

moelski

Hi @all,

today I searched around the vB forums and there was a small note "xenforo". I did some google research, landed here and was much impressed (y)

We use vBulletin 4 some time now and I am really unhappy with that solution. Many bugs, many stuff that works damn complicated and vB5 ... :eek:

So it would be great to move our website to XF. But there are some questions left ... Hope you can give me some hints.

1) There is a nice "Home" link at the upper left side of the forum. This redirects to the forum overview page. Is there a chance to establish a kind of welcome page? We need this to give some first information about our (software) product. I saw in the demo that I can Create a new Page. But I´m not sure if I can link it to the home entry.
2) Is there any Paypal addon for donation available? And is it possible to place it at the upper right side of the forum (above User / Inbox / Alerts)?
3) If I get it right the Resources addon can be used to "host" some downloads or tutorials. Is there a download counter available? And can a not loggedin user access some parts of the resources, too? We need this to establish a public download area for our software.
4) Is there any addon / feature to have a resource (like a tutorial) in multilanguage?
5) Since we use vB4 I have to import the data. Is there any chance to test the import before we buy the license? If I am right the vB4 import is unofficial. So there could be not solfable problems?

That´s all for now ...
Hope I can switch to XF, soon :)

Dominik

Hi @all,

today I searched around the vB forums and there was a small note "xenforo". I did some google research, landed here and was much impressed (y)

We use vBulletin 4 some time now and I am really unhappy with that solution. Many bugs, many stuff that works damn complicated and vB5 ... :eek:

So it would be great to move our website to XF. But there are some questions left ... Hope you can give me some hints.

1) There is a nice "Home" link at the upper left side of the forum. This redirects to the forum overview page. Is there a chance to establish a kind of welcome page? We need this to give some first information about our (software) product. I saw in the demo that I can Create a new Page. But I´m not sure if I can link it to the home entry.
2) Is there any Paypal addon for donation available? And is it possible to place it at the upper right side of the forum (above User / Inbox / Alerts)?
3) If I get it right the Resources addon can be used to "host" some downloads or tutorials. Is there a download counter available? And can a not loggedin user access some parts of the resources, too? We need this to establish a public download area for our software.
4) Is there any addon / feature to have a resource (like a tutorial) in multilanguage?
5) Since we use vB4 I have to import the data. Is there any chance to test the import before we buy the license? If I am right the vB4 import is unofficial. So there could be not solfable problems?

That´s all for now ...
Hope I can switch to XF, soon :)

Dominik

1) Yes, of course you can. There are multiple Portal Addons, just check the Resources tab here :) (http://xenforo.com/community/resources/simple-portal.1713/, http://xenforo.com/community/resources/8wayrun-com-xenporta-portal.90/)
You can work your way to a nice Software Product Homepage that way.
2) Again, check the Resource Manager ;) (http://xenforo.com/community/resources/donation-manager.385/)
It's by default in the sidebar, but it can be placed above the Users-Alerts-Inbox if you'd like it too.
3) Yes, that can be done. There also is a download counter. You can specify yourself what a non-logged in user can do.
4) That's not possible yet, but I'm sure it can be created by one of the developers here on XenForo.com
5) You can try out a demo at http://xenforo.com/demo/, but you can't do a test import.. I can assure you that (almost) everything will work, since it has been done sooo many times :)

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

Hi !

That is to much. I only need one simple page to display some information and some links.

Take a look at our site: http://www.logview.info/vBulletin/
I only need the textual right part. Not the Paypal / menu stuff.

Can I do this without an portal addon?

Thx for the rest of the answers!

I'm quite sure you can use Pages a feature built into xenforo and comes as standard for that. Brogan currently uses Pages as his landing page if I'm not mistaken.

If you create a page with xenforo's page system and want to use that page as a home page you can install an addon called 'nodes as tabs' and use that to set that xf page node to be your home page as well as easily add navigation tabs and tab menus for sublink navigation.

Hi VincentU,

I tested the demo but have actually no idea how to link a new page to the Home part in the forum.
I have cerated a new Page but it is only visible in the Forum as a new entry.

Hi VincentU,

I tested the demo but have actually no idea how to link a new page to the Home part in the forum.
I have cerated a new Page but it is only visible in the Forum as a new entry.

Yep, what Brogan says. Just enter the page url in that box and then you've got a Home page.

If you want the links to show up nice. With /home/ and /forums/ etc. you can use the new Route Filters option in XenForo 1.2 :)

Just generate the code at PayPal's site and copy & paste it into one of XenForo's sidebar ad templates -- don't really need an add-on for this.

See the Checkpoint Forums link in my signature below for an example (practice donations gratiously accepted :) ). Note that the text ("Please consider ... through PayPal.") was added by me.

Top Bottom