XF 2.1 generate a push notification when a conversation is started?

isuttie

Love the new push notification functionality.

Is there a way to send a notification when a new conversation (involving the user, obviously) is started? Seems like that would be an event that should be supported...

Love the new push notification functionality.

Is there a way to send a notification when a new conversation (involving the user, obviously) is started? Seems like that would be an event that should be supported...

I think you might be right. Just tested this and I didn't get a Chrome push notification and I can't see a setting for it. I only got the Discord push notification from an add on.

However I did get a browser push notification for the second message, ie. a reply.

Come to think of it I had a new conversation started here on XF earlier today and I didn't get a push notification for that either.

Looks like a bug/oversight.

I think you might be right. Just tested this and I didn't get a Chrome push notification and I can't see a setting for it. I only got the Discord push notification from an add on.

However I did get a browser push notification for the second message, ie. a reply.

Come to think of it I had a new conversation started here on XF earlier today and I didn't get a push notification for that either.

Looks like a bug/oversight.
It's only going to send if you're the recipient. Not when you're the sender. If you're the sender you should get a push upon reply.

@Manster54 is correct... the checkbox for conversations is in a slightly different section that the rest of the options so I missed it initially

Ah, right you are. Strange, I'm getting it on my site now after sending a second test.

That checkbox is exactly why I didn't receive the push notification on here earlier today thought, it was unchecked. Competely missed that box when searching. Working now after having it checked. Surprising, would have thought it would be enabled by default.

Ah, right you are. Strange, I'm getting it on my site now after sending a second test.

That checkbox is exactly why I didn't receive the push notification on here earlier today thought, it was unchecked. Competely missed that box when searching. Working now after having it checked. Surprising, would have thought it would be enabled by default.
It is, every time I have encountered it.

There’s a distinction. The conversation system doesn’t actually use alerts.

Alerts only ever appear over the alerts menu (the bell icon). Conversations (new conversations / replies) don’t display as alerts.

That’s why it’s a separate option and not at all tied to the alerts/push opt out system.

Alerts only ever appear over the alerts menu (the bell icon). Conversations (new conversations / replies) don’t display as alerts.
You say that conversations (new / replies) don't display as alert, but in the 'Receive a notification when someone ...' section, there is an option called 'Reacts to your message in a conversation'. I guess this makes it a bit confusing as you would expect to find 'Someone starts a conversation with you' in the same section .... from a user point of view.

Top Bottom