General Questions on Xenforo forum software

CassandraSaturn

while i'm still relatively new, i wish to ask a certain questions before i buy the License and install that software to get my own first forum. so.. here i go.

1. what kind of Limit that Xenforo forum has?
erg, text/message limit for a post, blog and description boxes for profiles etc etc. i'm not sure, but i would like to know. a friend said it's at odd 1,000 per user, 2000-3000 for album descriptions, 140-500 profile posts, 2000 for titles including album titles. 8200 for a blog? i think.. is it 8000? avatar size from 14 MB to less? yeah that's why i'm not sure.

2. are emails for accounts to be approved mandatory?
i'm actually curious about it, is it part of the forum or i can set it, as to approve accounts manually?

3. is Avatars customizable?
from normal to gif. i'm curious to know if animated avatars are allowed, because on other xenforo forum, i have not seen it.
i know the avatars are available in png, jpg and gif. but i don't know if animated avatars will work or not. that's the issue.

4. is the Xenforo forum fully customizable?
i heard that it is possible to customize the forum, add themes, create a theme, add permissions, change stuff etc.

5. Xenforo forum files editable?
i'm told that if here are any errors or mistakes, you could fix them by doing a test forum version to fix the problems and create a batch files to fix the problems that are present in the forum. (friend said batch files would fix the script coding that would cause errors sometimes)

6. is can you create more Xenforo forums and use them?
is it possible to create many forums to use for projects and business, work or for fun such as gaming forum to community forum etc?

7. what it runs on?
i heard Xenforo forum which is mostly just PHP, FTP and MYSQL, you'd need these to run it on a server that hosts these to start a forum. is that correct?

8. is support available if here are issues?
is the support available at all time should i need assistance with the forum.

9. Licenses
and finally.. the Licenses. are they for to install Xenforo or just a license for addons, updates and an forum?

that's my nine questions. thanks for answering in advance. :D

1. what kind of Limit that Xenforo forum has?
erg, text/message limit for a post, blog and description boxes for profiles etc etc. i'm not sure, but i would like to know. a friend said it's at odd 1,000 per user, 2000-3000 for album descriptions, 140-500 profile posts, 2000 for titles including album titles. 8200 for a blog? i think.. is it 8000? avatar size from 14 MB to less? yeah that's why i'm not sure.
To answer each point:
  • The character limit for forum posts is customisable, and can be changed in the ACP. It defaults to 10,000 characters.
  • Users can follow up to 1,000 other users.
  • I'm not sure what the limit is for albums as I don't use XFMG, sorry.
  • Profile posts are a maximum of 140 characters in XenForo 1.x, and 420 in XenForo 2 (which isn't available to use yet). Profile post comments are 420 characters in both.
  • Thread titles are limited to 100 characters.
  • Blogs are not included in XenForo's core or as an official XF add-on, so the limit for blog posts would depend on which blogs add-on you choose.
  • Avatar sizes are variable – you can choose the maximum upload size in the ACP, but it also depends on your server configuration.
2. are emails for accounts to be approved mandatory?
i'm actually curious about it, is it part of the forum or i can set it, as to approve accounts manually?
You can choose between no approval, e-mail confirmation, or manual admin approval. Between that and the permissions system, you can make your forum as open or as private as you like :)

3. is Avatars customizable?
from normal to gif. i'm curious to know if animated avatars are allowed, because on other xenforo forum, i have not seen it.
i know the avatars are available in png, jpg and gif. but i don't know if animated avatars will work or not. that's the issue.
Animated avatars are supported if your server has ImageMagick installed, and you choose to use it for attachments in the ACP. Otherwise, animation is stripped from uploaded avatars when they are resized (this is a limitation of PHP's built-in image library).

4. is the Xenforo forum fully customizable?
i heard that it is possible to customize the forum, add themes, create a theme, add permissions, change stuff etc.
XF is incredibly customisable, both in terms of styling and functionality. You won't be disappointed :)

5. Xenforo forum files editable?
i'm told that if here are any errors or mistakes, you could fix them by doing a test forum version to fix the problems and create a batch files to fix the problems that are present in the forum. (friend said batch files would fix the script coding that would cause errors sometimes)
You're allowed one live forum and one password-protected test forum, so you can easily use the test forum to reproduce and fix errors, and mirror that onto the live forum without adversely affecting your community. As for editing the forum files: You can, but it's not advisable – all core file changes are lost when upgrading your forum. It's also very much not necessary – XenForo is fast and stable out of the box, so you won't need to modify its code yourself. If you want to add or change functionality, it is best to do so via an add-on.

6. is can you create more Xenforo forums and use them?
is it possible to create many forums to use for projects and business, work or for fun such as gaming forum to community forum etc?
You can create one XenForo forum per license. For example, if you had a work forum and a gaming forum, you would require two licenses.

7. what it runs on?
i heard Xenforo forum which is mostly just PHP, FTP and MYSQL, you'd need these to run it on a server that hosts these to start a forum. is that correct?
XenForo is written in PHP, and uses a MySQL database, so your server provider should provide both. (The vast majority do.) There's a server requirements test script if you want to check that your server has everything it needs before committing to a purchase – you can download it here.

8. is support available if here are issues?
is the support available at all time should i need assistance with the forum.
There's ticket support if you run into problems, and in my experience it is very fast and helpful, no matter when you contact them.

9. Licenses
and finally.. the Licenses. are they for to install Xenforo or just a license for addons, updates and an forum?
A single XenForo license entitles you to use the basic forum software on one domain, and you get all updates for a year afterwards. After that year, it's a small renewal fee of $40 to get access to updates for another year – however, if you let your license expire, your forum will still continue to work, just without the ability to download new updates. If you want the official XenForo add-ons, like XenForo Media Gallery or XenForo Resource Manager, you can add them to your license for an extra fee.

Hope that helps :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom