GDPR discussion thread

For those who live in Europe I have posted this suggestion here:

to ask the implementation of the functions to make the banner compliant with the GDPR.

So if some one need this, as you know can click on +1 on the suggestion.

Sorry @webbouk but your post was't clear to me. What do you mean?

@wedgar the problem is not where you have the server, but is about where come from the owner. I'm italian and have the VAT registered in Italy so I rightly need to respect the laws of my country. Then I also don't think that must be so difficult to add 2 or 3 options to the cookie banner.
If your business was registered outside the EU,would the same laws apply?

If your business was registered outside the EU,would the same laws apply?
My interpretation is no, because they would have to file suit in your location where the law is not valid. But, this same type of heavy regulation is creeping into USA as well. (I think California was the first) (as well as a way for people to request a takedown of their account data, or maybe even a report of what we have. I have had 2 account take down requests from US citizens, and happily did as asked)

At the current registration screen, a user can click the PRIVACY POLICY link before agreeing, and it lists a detailed cookie policy. example:

So... I think eventually we will all need to support both things.

But, this same type of heavy regulation is creeping into USA as well.
Canada's new CPPA has borrowed a lot from GDPR so it could be coming here. However, it is still making its way through Parliament and could stall if we have an election soon.

Sorry @webbouk but your post was't clear to me. What do you mean?

@wedgar the problem is not where you have the server, but is about where come from the owner. I'm italian and have the VAT registered in Italy so I rightly need to respect the laws of my country. Then I also don't think that must be so difficult to add 2 or 3 options to the cookie banner.

Quite simply, if you are running your website as a hobby, community site, general interest, etc, and not as a commercial venture then why would you put yourself, your enjoyment and your finances at risk of a law suit just to keep your website running?
When the enjoyment stops, switch the domain off.

I run a very busy website with a lot of visitors within the UK and if I was subjected to the same level of scrutiny that appears in some countries such as Germany, I would have to consider very carefully if it was worth the hassle vs the benefits I get from it personally.

Quite simply, if you are running your website as a hobby, community site, general interest, etc, and not as a commercial venture then why would you put yourself, your enjoyment and your finances at risk of a law suit just to keep your website running?
When the enjoyment stops, switch the domain off.

I run a very busy website with a lot of visitors within the UK and if I was subjected to the same level of scrutiny that appears in some countries such as Germany, I would have to consider very carefully if it was worth the hassle vs the benefits I get from it personally.
Any site that is available in Europe (including UK) needs to comply with GDPR, even if it's hosted elsewhere

Top Bottom