gbatemp.net - a very cool deployment of IPB.

Digital Doctor

This is an interesting IPB site.
I don't have much IPB experience but I've been impressed with the search and the tags so far. The similar threads feature seemed to work well too.

A design element which is simple and effective was the Ask! Tab. [Demo: GBAtemp ]
ask.a.question.IPB.gbatemp.net.webp
I think this could be replicated with xenforo easily.
Use Jake's Nodes as Tabs to make the Tab, and then some forums for the question categories, and then a template change for changing [New Thread] to [Ask a Question]

They also have some version of "Alerts" which I thought was pretty good, not as good as Xenforo mind you.

Their arcade has Angry Birds !
arcade.has.angry.birds.webp

Friends don't let friends purchase IPB.

They null it maybe for fun, such thieves (IPB) should never be funded (in my opinion).
They null it maybe for fun, such thieves (developers) should never be funded.
vBulletin or XenForo are more than acceptable commercial products for the forum community enthusiast.

Besides, XenForo can do that with almost a full 95% resource savings (...ie... less) and at a more realistic and economical cost.

like.this.IPB.webp

I see they have Likes as well.

I thought the discrete [X] available to ignore signatures was useful and effective.

However ... the bad news ...
I was editing a post .... and I can't save or cancel ... I'm stuck at ..
IPB.editor.freeze.webp

Maybe IPB is unreliable ?

View attachment 28011

Looks like IPB has been busy copying Xenforo !!!

IP.Board has had those types of notices since 3.1.0 which was released on June 1st 2010.

View attachment 28079
I see they have Likes as well.

I thought the discrete [X] available to ignore signatures was useful and effective.

However ... the bad news ...
I was editing a post .... and I can't save or cancel ... I'm stuck at ..
View attachment 28080
Maybe IPB is unreliable ?

After many customers requesting likes they brought them in, they still have reputation though which you can choose which to use in the ACP

Also I've never had that error before.

display-thread-watchers-anonymously-watch-thread-jpg.28405

I see IPB also has a list of Thread Watchers, which you can also anonymously watch.
Great feature.

http://xenforo.com/community/thread...-thread-also-include-usernames-avatars.26198/

They've also had this for awhile, don't remember when it was implemented, have never used the list my self, but I do watch threads I start (mainly for the skins I made) to get a notice when someone posted in them.

As discussed here.

I don't like this clumsy search filter.
Too much prime screen real estate for the number of times you use it.

ipb_left_panel-jpg.33665

That being said: Google News uses it.
google.news.sidebar.filter.webp
But it seems to work in the case of Google news.

Has anyone done a comparison there? I have seen resource graphs comparing vB to XF, but not IPB to XF.
YES, I have.

XenForo wins hands down. When comparing the two; IPB uses more resources than the current vBulletin.

This is was done using a sum of 100

100 members
100 threads
100 attachments
1 thread with 100 post
200 post total (100 replies to the 1st 100 threads + 100 more post to the large 100 thread)

One of the large site I frequent has just updated to the newest IPB.
It's quite usable - I like the little drop down where you see the first unread post without going to the thread, etc.

Resources are not the biggest part of the equation IMHO. The real question for most forum admins is whether it will do the job in a reasonable manner with reasonable resources. RAM is fairly cheap these days.

XF seems to have the best foundation by far - now it's just a matter of if the XF folks can build on that quick enough to stay ahead of all the competition.

First time on the site viewing the arcade (or not)
[#ARC-59] You are banned from the arcade, cheating was detected from your account or IP address.
Thankyou, I've never even visited your site before lol.

Top Bottom