gbatemp.net - a very cool deployment of IPB.

The alerts are not as good as Xenforo's.

I did see this hover over member card.
popup.member.cards.like.vBulletin.webp

Did IPB get member card's AFTER xenforo ?
Anyone know ?

Honestly, our main site is on IPB, whatever the latest version is.... 3.3.4 I think. It performs better and less resource intensive than vb4 which is what we were on. Our members like it and it is a very usable product. I would love to be on XF but not all the features we would need are available either stock or in mod form.

/bummer

Hello everyone, this is Costello, site administrator on GBAtemp.
It appears we have been hacked. There was a breach in our system and neither me nor the other people helping out with the site were able to figure out what happened. In fact, we were informed of a possible breach a while ago, but seeing as evidence was particularly slim (at best) I chose to ignore it back then.

I would like to draw your attention on a few important points:
1. Due to the nature of the hack, it is likely that the entire database was compromised, the hackers are even saying that a copy of everyone's private messages is 'floating around'. That means anyone could be reading your GBAtemp private messages at this very moment. If you had anything sensitive in there, be aware that these are at risk.
2. If you are using the same password on GBAtemp for other services (email, Facebook, accounts on other sites...) the safest measure would be to change your password immediately. In fact ideally the best practice is to have a different password for each service that you use, but we know it's a little late to remind you of that. Just a quick note though: the forum system we are using -Invision Power Boards 3.2- does not obviously store your password as plain text. It is hashed in a relatively secure manner, making it difficult for hackers to figure out the original contents of your password. There is little chance that your password was discovered, but better safe than sorry.
3. Since 2002 our site has been powered by Invision Power Board. We have been hacked multiple times. This time, there is no telling whether the security breach was originated from the version of IPB we were using, or by other site add-ons or developments we programmed by ourselves. Regardless if the breach came from our own code or Invision's, we cannot discharge ourselves of the responsibility of this hack. We are truly very sorry for any inconvenience that this hack may cause to you. While we are not professionals and none of the team members is actually employed by the site, we should still have had the abilities to secure the servers more appropriately.

Not to worry though. I know this may seem like a hard blow but we have been hacked before and we got back our our feet quick. The same will happen this time, we will progressively get back to normal over the next few days as we restore posts, user base and the rest of the data.

PS: next rounds of the tournament are postponed until we get back to normal. Congratulations to all of those who made it to the next round!

Stay tuned!
Costello
www.gbatemp.net

Come back GBAtemp !
Hopefully you had some good backups !

Whoa ... I missed the most important update !!

Update 2012-10-25
We've finished configuring the servers and have installed a new bulletin board system, XenForo in replacement for good old IPB. Currently, we're running scripts to import the former data, but since we have nearly 5 million posts in total, it's taking a while. We are also designing a whole new skin. We will be reopening soon, but we won't have most of the features that we used to. These features (mostly add-ons) will be added later once the site is up and running. Thanks for your patience!

======================
Should be interesting to see how much of the old gbatemp.net site functionality will work in the new Xenforo site. !

Top Bottom