GameWinners.com Community

Static-Xbox

Before posting I just want to thank the XenForo Staff for the help they've provided over the last couple of days. Without the help we got from these forums, this community would be nowhere near ready to open! I can't thank them enough!

A couple of notes:

-I'm not the owner of the site in question, but I run the community side of things. Not terribly relevant for this purpose, but I thought it was worth noting!

-We're dealing with a little cleanup mess after our import from vB3 (duplicate threads and post in some places), so please ignore the duplicate content. We are working to clean it up as quickly and effectively as possible.

-The style is a bit minimal, I know, but there will be alternative styles to select in the future. The work mark logo draws a lot of criticism these days because it is quite dated, but this logo has been with the site for a long time and the owner of the site does not want this to change for the default style. Any suggestions outside of that are most welcome, however! Criticisms are also welcome (only way to improve!)

-Also, please ignore the Ad placeholders -- this will be fixed once our partners have our new location.

With that said, the link: http://community.gamewinners.com

About GameWinners

GameWinners has been around since 1998, but can trace its routes all the way back to a Commodore 64 and 3DO-based BBS system from 1985. The forums were originally created in October of 2000 using UBB, though migrated to vBulletin 2.2 in late 2001. You can actually see a history of the GameWinners forums by scrolling down to the 'History' section here: http://community.gamewinners.com/index.php?threads/welcome-to-the-new-gw-community.80805/ and clicking through the spoilers. GameWinners specializes in Cheat Codes, and has an archive of hundreds of thousands of games' worth of codes. With the industry moving away from cheat codes, GameWinners is transitioning more into a game help site with a focus on competitive and co-operative games. We're also in the process of establishing a hub for members who need help with multiplayer achievements, teammates for online games or just some extra friends online.

One final point: You might also notice a disproportionately high number of high post count members compared to the 1.2 million posts showing in the forums (see: http://community.gamewinners.com/index.php?members/). This is because the forums have seen over 8.6 million posts in their time, but due to constraints with the old servers we used we had to routinely prune the forums to between 1.2 and 2.2 million posts. We kept post counts in tact, so a few members have quite large post counts.

Thanks for looking! :)

I think it's awesome that sites like this still exist. I remember a few back in the early 2000's that I used so this is pretty nostalgic for me. I agree with heavy on the theme you could use a great update on that. Other then that the content and over all layout of the site is nice.

I think you need a theme / style for the site otherwise it looks to boring.

Thanks,

Heavy

Thanks for the comments, I am working on tweaking the default style a bit to make it slightly less barren. I'm also hoping to have some more modern styles available as alternatives once we're a little bit further along.

I think it's awesome that sites like this still exist. I remember a few back in the early 2000's that I used so this is pretty nostalgic for me. I agree with heavy on the theme you could use a great update on that. Other then that the content and over all layout of the site is nice.

It is a bit of a blast from the past :D. Trying to modernize a site like this is a bit of an issue, but we're working on it! I do appreciate that the style for most is very empty and probably not visually appealing, but the idea behind that was to keep the aesthetics as close to what we as a community were familiar with; however, I'm not terribly fond of the final results, so I'm working on tweaking things and trying to give it a bit more character so there might be a bit more to draw the eye because it is definitely a bit on the boring side right now.

Thanks to both of you for the comments, I really do appreciate them!

Note also that it would be nice your logo was changed :) It look's so old haha :)

I'd absolutely love to change the logo, believe me. I do all of the software and customization for the site (not saying much since it still looks like it's from the early 2000s :D), but I don't own it. The owner wants the wordmark logo to stay in place because it's the logo that's been used since 1998. I'm going to work on some alternative logos for other styles, but I'm afraid the workmark cannot be changed on the default style at this point in time.

Of course. It's awesome again to see such a old site still around. A lot of these old cheat code gamer sites don't exist or were bought out. So it's nice to see that one is still hopping around.
I did have a chance to play with the themes a bit. I don't like the default. However, I do enjoy the darker theme that you chose to use. It's very nice and seems to flow a bit better.
Good stuff.

Top Bottom