Frustrate with XF :)

Gabby

Hey Guys,
Oh so don't go all nasty on me for my opinion and experience :)

You all know by now that a really like Xenforo but my love affair is wearing down.

I'm really frustrated with all the things that should be basic with any forum.

Moving threads, mod system in general, permissions...
Smilies (Just about everything)
Have to hunt for a hour to find the correct setting to change a small piece of design
and most of all the dang file system. I'm sorry but uploading mods with XF is a friggen nightmare. One coder says, "Upload to root"... well that's not entirely correct... another coder says something different. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out where to put files using FTP but half they time it isn't correct. And a huge thank you to coders. You have my respect completely.

And one really has to know a good amount of CSS and HTML to use XF.

So tell me what I can do to make it easier for me without having to become a coder? I don't want to get into another VB deal where I have to shell out and arm and a leg for tech support.

Should I sell and go to MyBB? I had planned on giving this forum to my family as I'm not well but I'm not too sure they can manage it with all the above still needed.

And a huge thank you to those who have helped me. Jake you are amazing!!!

Gabby

I agree with you 100% with smilies the manager and just about everything that is smiley manager related. It's terrible and a make do solution which has got to be the worst smiley solution of any product.

However, the styling system I have to disagree with you on. Xenforo in my opinion has the best, easiest, most intuitive/ innovative style/template system from all the other software. Have you tried using code inspectors which would make your job easier finding what elements you want to modify and which html/css classes you want to change? Firebug for firefox is very good but most have their own built in source code inspectors.

Again I have to disagree with you regarding uploading add-ons. *touch wood* I've never had any issues uploading add-ons. It's mainly a matter of uploading folder files to the /library folder then upload files to /js folder import xml file and job done. You may have to set some settings depending on the mod, but i find it can't be any easier other than have an auto-install add-on system which I personally wouldn't use.

Again with moving threads I really have to disagree. It's such an easy task to click thread box checkbox, move thread to <insert destination area> couldn't be easier from the inline mod controls.

I doubt anyone is going to crucify you (well i hope not) these are your opinions and should be respected as 1 grievance you have, I agree with you on. The others I don't, but they are your opinions and again should be respected by others.

I agree Shelley the design system is good for sure but having to know or find the right control is difficult. I wish there was some kind visual key system we could download that pointed to which control worked with what. A visual map if you will

Re: Uploading mods... I just uploaded a tag mod... xentag is the name I believe. It says "upload to forum root" , I did this and nothing. Can't even upload xml file. This is a constant battle. I'm not sure what they heck I'm doing wrong but I've never had this much trouble uploading mods.

Re: Moving threads... the only option I have as admin (all permission are set correctly) is "delete thread" on option. Otherwise it is my understand that I have to upload yet another mod to move, or combine threads? Am I missing something?

Thanks much for your response. :)

I'm shocked cause your site looks so nice. You should add me to skype and I'll do a screen share so I can show you how to do stuff.

I agree shelley the design system is good for sure but having to know or find the right control is difficult. I wish there was some kind visual key system we could download that pointed to which control worked with what.

Re: Uploading mods... I just uploaded a tag mod... xentag is the name I believe. It says "upload to forum root" , I did this and nothing. Can't even upload xml file. This is a constant battle. I'm not sure what they heck I'm doing wrong but I've never had this much trouble uploading mods.

Thanks much for your response. :)

Have you tried using the built in code inspectors? it's a matter of say right click the area you want to modify and a popup window will appear where it will disaply the class. Afterwhich you can go about modifying that area in style properties if it exists and/or insert the class and your css alterations in the EXTRA.css template.

I haven't watched the tutorial below but this may give you some insight in finding the stuff you want to modifying and apply that knowledge to your xf. it really is worth learning to use and would certainly give you great satisifaction once you find how easy it is to find the elements you want to alter. :)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thank you Shelley. This is all over my head unfortunately. :) Although I have found several design elements through FF right click that have saved me some time.

I'm shocked cause your site looks so nice. You should add me to skype and I'll do a screen share so I can show you how to do stuff.

LOL thanks. But IMO, compared to others my site looks like a 5th grader did it and unprofessional. And I'm super ill so can't fiddle too much with it much more. Oh well I tried. :(

Give it some time.. when I first used the system it was tough as well. Not tough that it's hard, but because it takes time to get used too. Think of it as a new job, it takes time to settle in... well it's the same with XF or any other new software you use.

Soon you will wiz through it and be helping, sharing tips with others here :)

Most all add-ons are uploaded the same way. The term 'forum root' is just to direct people to where they have their forum files. Mine are in my actual site root / (www.domain.com) and other users may have them in /forum/ or /community/ etc. You don't upload the .xml file, you 'install add-on' and then point to that .xml on your system after you've uploaded the files IN upload. At least that's the way i do it.

I'm pretty comfortable in CSS and templates but that's not required for core/stock users.

There are some Mod features lacking but we are able to move threads, merge threads, etc without add-ons.

Ok I think I've figured out a few things. I'm clearly missing some components after watching the above moderation video so I guess I'll have to start over with a fresh install as all my permission are set correctly but all of the moderation tools Kier's using as well as several other things are missing from my original install. :cry:

Top Bottom