Friends by Waindigo [Deleted]

Jon W

Waindigo submitted a new resource:

Friends by Waindigo (version 1.0.0) - As an extension to following, allows friendships that are required to be confirmed by both parties.

Description:

As an extension to the following feature, this add-on allows for friendships to be created between members.

Once requested (by writing how you know each other), the prospective friend will be alerted and must confirm the friendship. The initiating friend will then be alerted that the friendship has been formed. Friends can also flag that they know each other personally.

In conjunction with the...

Read more about this resource...

What benefits/differences are there between being a friend or following ... aside from a friend request having to be accepted by the recipient.

Also it would seem to me to be logical that if you're someone's friend you'd want to follow them also???

What benefits/differences are there between being a friend or following ... aside from a friend request having to be accepted by the recipient.
This is the main difference. Also you can have them set whether they know them personally, and this too would be confirmed. The number of friends (and personal friends) can then be used (in conjunction with the Advanced User Promotions add-on) to put people into new user groups, which can then give them all sorts of special permissions.

Also it would seem to me to be logical that if you're someone's friend you'd want to follow them also???
This add-on was developed commercially for one of our clients based on their own requirements, but they kindly agreed to release it to the XenForo community free of charge. If you find that the requirements do not quite fit your own, you are encouraged to donate or contribute directly so that new features can be added. In this case, an option could quite easily be added to the control panel to auto-follow upon a friend request being made -- but only if the development costs are paid for!

Nice add on! :)

A few suggestions:

• When viewing a profile and you click the 'Follow' button, it would be nice if the page automatically updated to reveal the 'Friend' button without a user having to refresh the page - alternatively it would be cool to have an option to 'Follow + Friend' button which carries out both requests in a single click.
  • It would be cool if the 'Friend' request button also appeared on member cards once you follow a person.
  • When a user receives a friend request and they click 'Confirm', an error often appears saying 'You must be following a user in order to set as a friend'. It would be cool if there was an additional line that read 'Click here to follow username and confirm them as a friend' which carries out both actions in a single click. So the user doesn't have to faff about clicking back, loading their friends profile, clicking follow, then friending, then returning to the alert.
Possible bugs:

• When you view your own profile, all of your friends also appear as mutual friends, that's kind of redundant on your own profile isn't it?
  • The link to view the friends overlay list doesn't seem to work for me, not sure if it's just on my install or a bug?
When you click here:

friends 1.webp

I'm met with:

friend 2.webp

• The hover tip friend count seems to be out by 1
freinds 3.webp

Also, how does the checkbox for 'I know this user personally' affect the friendship? I can't see anything obvious. Just curious.

This add-on was developed commercially for one of our clients based on their own requirements, but they kindly agreed to release it to the XenForo community free of charge. If you find that the requirements do not quite fit your own, you are encouraged to donate or contribute directly so that new features can be added. In this case, an option could quite easily be added to the control panel to auto-follow upon a friend request being made -- but only if the development costs are paid for!

All cool bud, didn't mean it as a criticism and hope you didn't take it that way. What sort of cost do you think it'd be to add the feature, I'd be willing to put a few $$ forward for it.

I will pay for it! ;)

As I said above will put some money towards it as well.

Nice add on! :)
Thank you.

When viewing a profile and you click the 'Follow' button, it would be nice if the page automatically updated to reveal the 'Friend' button without a user having to refresh the page - alternatively it would be cool to have an option to 'Follow + Friend' button which carries out both requests in a single click.
Agreed.

It would be cool if the 'Friend' request button also appeared on member cards once you follow a person.
Agreed.

When a user receives a friend request and they click 'Confirm', an error often appears saying 'You must be following a user in order to set as a friend'. It would be cool if there was an additional line that read 'Click here to follow username and confirm them as a friend' which carries out both actions in a single click. So the user doesn't have to faff about clicking back, loading their friends profile, clicking follow, then friending, then returning to the alert.
Agreed. I will add all these features when I get the chance.

When you view your own profile, all of your friends also appear as mutual friends, that's kind of redundant on your own profile isn't it?
Lol. Very good point. Will get rid of that.

The link to view the friends overlay list doesn't seem to work for me, not sure if it's just on my install or a bug?
This is a bug. Thank you.

Also, how does the checkbox for 'I know this user personally' affect the friendship? I can't see anything obvious. Just curious.
Doesn't affect it at all. Just affects the personal friends count, which can be used for user group promotions with my other add-on. This could also be used for a variety of other things in future.

All cool bud, didn't mean it as a criticism and hope you didn't take it that way. What sort of cost do you think it'd be to add the feature, I'd be willing to put a few $$ forward for it.
Didn't take it that way at all. If my writing appeared grumpy, I'd probably just had a long day, but I didn't mean it that way. I think its important to make it very clear to everyone how I work though, as this is not necessarily the same as other developers.

I try to give as much back to the community as possible by persuading contributors to allow me to release their add-ons for free. Often as a reward for this initial contribution, others will then contribute to making the add-on even better -- and everyone wins.

It is very much in my interest to see XenForo grow and I often see 'lack of add-ons' used as a reason not to move over. In less than 6 months, I have been able to release 17 add-ons to the community for free thanks to the above approach and the generosity of around the same number of members. I'm looking forward to releasing many more and improving my existing add-ons over the next 6 months!

As I said above will put some money towards it as well.
Thank you. A donation of just £20 can make a huge difference (this should cover most of RobinHood's suggestions above), although any amount will make a difference and you will appear on the list of contributors to this add-on. All donations will go towards additional add-on development, without exception. If you require a specific feature, then please contact me by private conversation to discuss an exact cost.

Thanks in advance for your contribution.

Top Bottom