Friend Inviter [Paid] [Deleted]

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
Chris Deeming submitted a new resource:

Friend Inviter (version 1.0) - Get your community to invite their friends via their Gmail/Facebook accounts. More APIs added soon!

First a big thank you...

To TheBigK who has been a pleasure to work with on this project, which without whom this add-on release wouldn't be possible.

TheBigK runs http://www.crazyengineers.com. A fantastic website and blog running on XenForo and WordPress dedicated to being the best resource for engineers worldwide covering everything from IT to Electronics to Mechanics. Check it out and become the latest...

Read more about this resource...

I turned off Facebook integration on my site because I didn't want people logging in with their Facebook. This addon would be great if it didn't require one to login with their Facebook.
(y)

I kind of boycotted facebook for the most part.... But the idea of stealing feacbook member ... That does sound a little cool

This is on my "to buy" list and yes, I'll be using Google Checkout once $$$ are added to my pre-paid card (only thing I use online).

I turned off Facebook integration on my site because I didn't want people logging in with their Facebook. This addon would be great if it didn't require one to login with their Facebook.

You could always turn on integration, but hide the Facebook login buttons so people are still forced to login using the normal XF process?

Chris, any chance of screen shots of the entire Facebook invite process? I don't want to accidentally send out lots of invites to my facebook friends by testing it.

You wouldn't be able to accidentally do it.

You click on the Facebook button, log in, your friends list is loaded and then you get to choose which ones an invite is sent to.

But, as requested, this is what your list of Friends looks like after you've logged in to Facebook. I have removed names and photos to protect the innocent :p

FacebookInviter1.webp

Then once you have invited someone, it looks like this on their Timeline:

FacebookInviter2.webp

Is there way to keep log of who invited their friends /who signed up after that invitation ?
Well...

Once someone is invited, their e-mail address (or Facebook ID in the case of Facebook) is logged in the database.

This enables that user to track who they have invited, and allows you to impose a limit on the number of times each person can be invited (so people can't spam people).

My intention is (hopefully very soon) to make use of this data to trigger Alerts once someone they have invited by e-mail signs up. I guess I could also write a plug in for Admin CP > Tools > Daily Stats so you can monitor the number of invites and sign ups as a result of those invites. I guess the data is already there, just not implemented the code yet.

For the records' sake, registration rate jumped by about 30% on Day 1 of launching this. (y). Please note that the system sends out site link (not the registration link) to friends.

For the records' sake, registration rated jumped by about 30% on Day 1 of launching this. (y). Please note that the system sends out site link (not the registration link) to friends.
That's awesome news, TheBigK. You sure they weren't just spam bots? :LOL:

Hopefully that continues :D

I may very well still work on my plan (kind of half implemented already then you changed your mind :p) whereby the Admin can decide whether they want the link to be the direct registration link or just a link to the forum (or any other page, actually).

My aim here will be: Facebook posts will contain the sign up with Facebook link (logical) and e-mail invitations could contain the standard registration link with the name and e-mail address already prepopulated. I'd then not enforce e-mail verification in that case (as technically we've already verified their e-mail address). So it would be a super quick registration.

Or indeed, you could include both links in the pre-defined invite text...

But yeah, I liked that feature so I will finish it and creep it back in as a configurable option.

Yep.

I've promised TheBigK that the next service added will be Linked In.

I think logically on from that it would be Twitter.

And then Hotmail and Yahoo but their APIs are horrible.
Thanks. I get the majority of my traffic from Twitter. I might wait.

Actually... how would this work for Twitter?

Surely it just needs to be a form that posts a tweet, right?

Or would we want it to be a direct message to each of your followers?

Actually... how would this work for Twitter?

Surely it just needs to be a form that posts a tweet, right?

Or would we want it to be a direct message to each of your followers?
I think there should be a choice between both but honestly I would be okay with their not being a DM option because I did my research and learned from experts and experience that most people don't read their DMs and when they do get them most are pissed off that it's 'spam'. Tweets directly to someone's walls actually results back in more traffic to your site because their followers will see your tweet and investigate and just because they ignored it doesn't mean some of their followers will.

Options to have registration link is welcome; but I think being community boards; it doesn't make sense to have people register on the site first and then see what they'll get.

I look forward to having more services integrated. LinkedIn, Twitter would be awesome!

Top Bottom