Friend Inviter [Paid] [Deleted]

As far as I can tell, there is no function in the API to send messages to people's inboxes... :-\

Chris Deeming updated Friend Inviter with a new update entry:

Improved performance, separate Facebook config, uninstall fix.

Version 1.2:

• You can now specify separate Facebook App credentials to keep seperate from your Login app or not require the use of the Login with Facebook feature.
  • There is now an option to not fetch Google contact images. This drastically improves performance.
  • Resolves a potential clash with other add-ons.
  • The add-on now removes the xf_friend_inviter table when uninstalled.

Read the rest of this update entry...

Hi Chris, are you going to send out the updates or do we use the adress in the e-mail that we've become after we purchased the addon?

I'm getting this error before the upgrade. I upgraded it and still getting this error when going to the friend-inviter page.

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class Facebook in /home/user/public_html/library/SocialStatusUpdater/facebook/src/facebook.php on line 93

I'm getting this error before the upgrade. I upgraded it and still getting this error when going to the friend-inviter page.

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class Facebook in /home/user/public_html/library/SocialStatusUpdater/facebook/src/facebook.php on line 93
Good find.

Yeah Friend Inviter clashes with SocialStatusUpdater and Social Status Updater clashes with Friend Inviter :mad:

I will send you a fix for the social status updater.

First of all, disable Friend Inviter, then upgrade using the new version I'm about to send you. Sorry.

Ahh fair play, maybe it's to prevent spam. Thanks for checking anyway dude :)
Yeah I believe there was the ability to do this up to October 2011 but now it's explicitly denied. Probably due to spam.

There's a nice invitation feature in Pinterest, apparently, where you can pre-populate the Facebook's own "Send" pop up with a mass list of your contacts. This would be perfect. Problem? The API blocks the mass list of contacts unless your app is white listed. How do you get white listed? I imagine it involves thousands of dollars...

Will FB classify invites sent to their users as spam? I read something about that in the thread.
Any Facebook content can be reported as spam.

Invites from this app, game requests, wall posts, game high scores...

Facebook won't automatically classify the invites as spam, but there's nothing to stop someone reporting them as spam. But, it seems, it's the user generating the content gets penalised rather than you.

Remember, the user is using your app. You can't control how they use your app. So it doesn't seem as though it will affect you or your site.

I do understand that a user can report any content on FB as spam. I think I read something in the thread about FB having an automatic spam filter removing messages that are identical. But as long these invites are not identical, maybe it isn't a problem?

Have you monitored the effect of using these invites in terms of new user registration?

BUG:
Tried with two different users now to "select all" and submit invites (200 or so) in facebook but both times, both users (after about 20 seconds or so) got a "server timout" error message and only a few of the FB users received invites. Also, the facebook screen that indicates the number of times the user was sent an invite was incorrect. Said 0/3 but checking their FB page, some of them clearly got an invite. No error was logged in the server log in Xenforo. Works fine if you send one at a time.

I do understand that a user can report any content on FB as spam. I think I read something in the thread about FB having an automatic spam filter removing messages that are identical. But as long these invites are not identical, maybe it isn't a problem?
You made me read the whole thread :( There is nothing in this thread about a spam filter removing messages.

8thos' cousin got stopped from accessing Facebook.

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/friend-inviter-paid.35651/page-3#post-407423

It's possible that she got blocked if people reported the invites as spam, though we have no idea whether she's been reported for spam before, or even whether it was the invites that caused it. No one else has reported this since. I'm sceptical as to whether the Friend Inviter was related at all.

Have you monitored the effect of using these invites in terms of new user registration?
Ironically, I don't actually use this myself on a live site.

So I'm going to have to rely on people giving me numbers but I am also planning a feature that will tell you how many sign ups you had as a result of invites.

Here's some anecdotal evidence from TheBigK:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/friend-inviter-paid.35651/#post-405416
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/friend-inviter-paid.35651/page-2#post-405966

BUG:
Tried with two different users now to "select all" and submit invites (200 or so) in facebook but both times, both users (after about 20 seconds or so) got a "server timout" error message and only a few of the FB users received invites. Also, the facebook screen that indicates the number of times the user was sent an invite was incorrect. Said 0/3 but checking their FB page, some of them clearly got an invite. No error was logged in the server log in Xenforo. Works fine if you send one at a time.
Hmm, last thing's first...

The invite count, I can understand.

The information is written to the database and it's written right at the end in one query, otherwise in your case it would be doing 200 individual queries to save the data and that's never good.

That means, if the process is interrupted somehow, it will never actually save the data.

In your case, the process was indeed interrupted...

Do you have the full output of the timeout error? Such as line number, stack trace, etc?

This will give me a clue as to what line of the code the process gets stuck on.

Try and recreate, just a screenshot of the error will do.

There's normally more info than just "server timeout". Hopefully there is, it will help.

No there wasn't any more info. I'm sure of that. Just the canned Xenforo Ajax popup, with the Error "Server Timout" and nothing else.

Ah yeah it would be the AJAX pop up. In that case, further info may be displayed in the Console (F12 in Chrome/Firefox) when the error occurs.

Screenshot this if you can reproduce the fault.

If there are no other details, that is suspicious... XenForo always logs errors with loads of details therefore I'm inclined to think that maybe the error "Server Timeout" is being served from Facebook.

Nope. No error info in the console either.

friend inviter error.webp

FYI: Several other users have reported this same error now.

Most sites ar niche sites, so people wont probably be inviting everyone on their FB friends list. However, our site is a community site, so people would commonly invite everyone on their friend list. Maybe that's why I am first to see this error. If there was a way for the script to batch the invites, like ten at a time or so...

Ok.

Is anyone else here experiencing the same problems?

I might have to paginate the Facebook contacts and limit the invites to X number of friends at a time or something :-\

This is purely going to be down to the number of friends being invited and probably some timeout at Facebook's end.

The error "The server did not respond in time" is likely to be Facebook not responding in time for some reason.

I might revisit the way I have coded XenForo's interaction with the API to make it more efficient, but there's still no guarantees it will work with hundreds of users.

Top Bottom